4 Coat Trends for Fall & Winter: Fun in a Sea of Black and Gray
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
If you don’t have a black coat or a gray coat, you’re in luck. There are lots of those for sale each fall. However, if you want a fun, trendy coat that will cheer you up when it’s gray and ugly out there, here are 4 trends you might like better than black.
Personally, I love brightly colored coats. You can pop them on an all-black outfit and your outfit will look totally spiffy (and pulled together) within seconds.
1. The Red Coat Trend: Almost every designer seems to be offering a beautiful red coat. If you like color, you will love this new Pantone hue for fall. It’s a rich, full-bodied red and, even though I usually go for pinks and blues, I am considering getting one of these gorgeous red coats.
If you’ve never owned a red coat, you’re sure to be surprised by how many colors you can wear with red: brown, light blue, bright blue, denim blue, light gray, charcoal gray, dark green, deep orange… so many colors. Don’t be afraid to invest in red. All of the Pantone colors this season are designed to go with that amazingly vibrant red. And, most of the autumn-winter colors from past seasons should go with it too.
Looking at these brilliant red coats takes me back to my childhood, when girls used to wear skirts and dresses to school.
Back when I was a kid, every schoolgirl had a red coat in her closet. Well, it seemed that way to me at the time. And, if you were really lucky, you would also have a pair of red, wooly tights and some black patent leather shoes. Oh, those were the days. Things were made in the USA and clothing would last through several hand-me-downs. Fortunately, I was the oldest of all the grandchildren, so I got to buy new school clothes every fall.
“Those were the days my friend we thought they’d never end. We’d sing and dance forever and a day…” It’s a sing along, kids.
Wow, it’s so funny how looking at that one color can take my mind back to blue plaid jumpers and starched, frilly blouses.
2. The Bright Colored Coat Trend: If you’re not into red, or you already have so much red in your closet that you need something different, here are a few other brightly colored coats that will make you want to put on your yellow galoshes and dance in the puddles.
I’m trying to decide which coats in the photo montage are Pantone colors for fall, but it’s difficult to tell. Colors can read so differently in photographs than in real life. It all depends on the lighting.
The yellow coat on the left looks like Pantone Misted Yellow. The next coat is called “fuchsia” and it might be a darker version of Radiant Orchid… or it might be some other color. The next color is called “orange red”. And, after that, there’s a teal blue hooded coat. I think that teal coat is too green to be Pantone’s Bright Cobalt, but I love teal, so I included it. And, the last coat on the right is definitely Pantone’s Royal Blue. There are other wonderfully bright coats for fall, but I can’t fit everything I love into this photo.
Well, whether or not these are Pantone colors for fall, they are fabulous hues that will go with black, gray, navy, other neutrals, and a truckload of other brights. In my opinion, you will never regret buying a coat in a color you love.
Oh, no. I feel another story coming on…
- One year, when I was about 8 years old, I got a new, magenta coat for Easter, and my mother still talks about how I got grease on my coat from climbing on a tractor. She thinks I ruined my coat on purpose, but I assure you, I would never have done anything purposefully to harm that deep pink coat with the black faux fur collar. I adored that coat. Fortunately, the cleaners found a way to fix it, but I’ll never hear the end of that fiasco. It must have ruined my family’s Easter photos.
- My sister remembers my dad yelling at me… and at my mom. However, I seem to have blocked the yelling out of my mind. I don’t like to remember bad things. I try to dwell on good things… I guess I have a selective memory.
Anyway, trust me, you’ll never regret buying a red or fuchsia or yellow coat… as long as you’re not planning to be bored enough to climb on a tractor while you’re waiting for the rest of your family to get dressed.
Bright coats are like magic fairy-dust. They always make you smile.
3. The Pink Plaid Coat Trend: Well, not all the coats and jackets are pink plaid this fall. Some are red plaid. Others are black, white, and gray plaid, and I’ve seen a couple of fabulous coats that are blue-tartan patterned.
However, I’ve seen so many pink plaid coats, that I think the British clothiers are onto something. In a season with so much gray, pink is a natural choice to perk up that most neutral of neutrals.
4. The Crazy-Colored Faux Fur Trend: If you can’t afford real fur, or you don’t buy real fur for ethical reasons, you’re in luck. I mean, I’m not sure I would want you to spend a small fortune on died burgundy fur, but crazy-colored fake fur… that’s okay with me.
I’ve seen two-toned checked fur. I’ve seen striped fake fur coats and vests… and I love them all… in all their gloriously goofy colors: pink, teal, burgundy, charcoal, red, apricot, plum, green… and regular gray.
If you’re shorter than 5’9”, make sure the nap of the fur doesn’t overwhelm you. Women who are not tall, thin, and willowy should never overdo the volume thing. I don’t want you to end up looking like a purple Yeti, right? Hey, dollface, if I see a Youtube video of you in the abominable snowman section, I will send you to the back of the line.
There are, of course, other cute coat trends. I like the geometric patterned coats and jackets. I also love the baby-colored coats, in light pink and light blue colors. However, I think I’m better off with a darker coat because I might find myself bored near a tractor… and I don’t want to wreck whatever adorable coat I end up getting for fall.
More Articles for Hip Fashionistas Over 40, 50, 60:
Photo Credits: prshots.com.
- Main Photo: Wallis.
- Red Coat Trend - Fall & Winter: M&Co, Wallis.
- Brightly Colored Coat Trend for Fall & Winter: Yellow Coat - Maryling, Fuchsia Coat - Laredoute, Orange-Red Coat - Laredoute, Teal Parka - Laredoute, Royal Blue Coat - Wallis.
- Plaid Coat Trend: Pink Plaid Coat - Next, Pink Plaid Coat - Marisota, Tartan Cape Coat - Debenham.
- Fun Fur Coats: Burgundy Fur Coat - Wallis, Fur Vest - M&S.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page or give us a Google Plus. (I can't always respond to every comment. There are too many and I get overwhelmed. I will try when possible.)