Chic Polka Dot Clothing for Women: The New Black (and White)
[continued from page 1]
Go Big-Time with Polka Dots
- Both prints camouflage Boomer bulges.
- Both prints hide dirt while a chick is traveling, although polka-dotted fabric won’t hide stains as well as naturally asymmetrical leopard spots.
On the other hand, polka dots are younger and fresher in feel. And, you can ramp up the color a lot more with spots because pink or green polka-dotted fabric is less likely to turn you into American Mall Trash than pink or green leopard fabric.
I'm not saying you should avoid leopard, I'm just saying that the spots on polka dots are always fashionable, while purple leopard can be... shall we say... ummm... what's a nice way to say this... "common," if it's not done right. Yes, DVF can pull it off, but she doesn't make anything in my size... Hey, I guess my money's not good enough for the skinny little princess. Okay, enough cattiness. I admire the princess.
Tips on How to Wear Polka Dots
You can, of course, wear dots however you want, but here are a few tips that will give you more Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah in a laid-back sort of way:
- * Wear polka dots with other prints. Dots and stripes are easy to pair up, as long as they have one color in common. Well, you can move beyond the common-color theme when you get to Polka Dots 301.
- * Wear Polka dots with other dotted prints. The easiest way to mix and match prints is to play with different scales.
- * Always check how a print looks when seen from a distance.
Some standard dotted fabrics appear to be solids from a distance. Black and white often become gray. Small dots may fade from focus. Polka dots on a background of a similar color (like light tan on cream) may meld to look like a textured fabric. And, if you’re trying to match a dotted top to the color of your skirt or trousers, look at the entire outfit from a distance. For example, small pink dots on a green background may end up looking brown. Well, you don't have to be fussy about matching everything in your ensemble, but there is a chance that your cute pink and green top will look better with a brown or olive-colored skirt.
So, if you want a quick pick-me-up that won’t leave you with a hangover, try polka dots. I’ve just talked myself into getting a cute dotty hat, scarf, or T-shirt. See…you’re a bad influence on me.
More Articles for Baby Boomer Women:
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page. If you like our website, give us a Google Plus with the "g+" button. Thanks...