Americana Fashion Trend for Women: 5 Tips for Stars & Stripes Flag Clothing & Accessories for Year-Round Chic
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
If you're a boomer chick, you might remember lusting after Union Jack clothing during the era of British Mod (back in the 60s). Well, fashion has come back around to a newer, hipper red, white and blue. This time women are lusting after outfits that incorporate the look and feel of the American Flag. So, get ready to stand up and salute, baby, because stars and stripes can be fun.
American Flag Shirts, Dresses, Bags, Cowboy Boots for All Patriots
It doesn’t matter if your candidate won or lost, Old Glory is back big-time for women of all races, creeds, and ages. Hey, you don't even have to be an American to play with this trend. You just need to know what MAGA really stands for: Make America Groovy Again.
But, I don't want you looking like a red, white and blue popsicle. Your look should MAGA in a subtle, tasteful way... something befitting a woman over 40 or 50. We're talking about outfits with class, not something over the top for Fourth of July fireworks. So, please don't end up looking like some goofy granny at an Easy Rider Captain America Revival.
Well, maybe some kind of star-spangled Woodstock-ish outfit wouldn’t be too bad… if done right.
Americana is the Common Thread
I thought I was going to write this article about a new look I invented... to help all of us heal after losing half our Facebook friends and family, but it seems the fashion world has beaten me to it. I guess I should browse fashion mags more regularly... but no matter what side of the aisle you prefer, I believe we can all agree to come together as Americans. And, red, white and blue is an easy way to make a statement.
We should wear our American-flag inspired duds in a groovy spirit of kumbaya, man. Right on. Groovy. But, let's channel the spirit of Peter Fonda’s Captain America in Easy Rider or Jimi Hendrix’s Star Spangled Banner instead of going all cutesy in a cookie-cutter "granny makes a red, white and blue jello mold" kind of way.
Let’s rock this mutha… because patriotism is hip again.
What is Americana Fashion?
Americana is tricky to explain. It’s usually red, white, and blue, but not always. It can have flag details, such as stars and stripes, but sometimes it just gives the merest hint of flaggy details.
Items with a rustic Americana vibe:
- Denim jeans and jackets (of course)
- Red or blue bandanas
- Cowboy boots
OK, I don't want you looking like you're going to a hoe-down unless you're a square dancin' fool. And, the easiest way to avoid that hokey-dokey look is by mixing styles:
- First Lady haute couture
- Rock n Roll a la Madonna or Elton John (but toned WAY down)
- A few stripes and a star or two in unusual acid-inspired colors
- Denim with a hint of something "flag-like"
There are no hard and fast rules for patriotic outfits. The only thing I can say is, “Don’t look like you’re wearing a costume.” Ok, I'll try to give you some "rules".
1. One Flag per Outfit
Please keep those literal flags to a minimum on your outfit. A flag handbag is great. An image of Old Glory on a denim jacket is groovy. A pair of beater flag boots with a denim skirt is perfect. More than that and I may send you to the back of the line.
It's okay to wear something that looks like an actual flag, but I prefer the aged look of distressed denim or a somewhat faded flag image on a tee or a scarf. Well, I'm basically a boho hippie... what do I know?
If you want a more shipshape or sporty style, you're probably better off with a flag of the proper colors, but puleeeese make sure your whole outfit is NOT red, white and blue. Oy! Throw in several shades of blue and some brown or yellow or pink shoes... or something like that. You don't want to look like you're singing backup for the Temptations on the Fourth of July.
2. Mostly Denim and Blue With Red & White Accents
The easiest way to incorporate some casual Americana is to wear an outfit that's mostly denim and/or blue. Add a little red and white, and you're good to go.
This is the best way to show your patriotic colors without feeling a little too overdone. You just can't go wrong with this... even if it's a non-flag holiday.
3. Non Stars and Stripes Can be Americana
You don't have to wear a true representation of a flag. I think it's much more chic to just add a few details and let the mind fill in the blanks. Flowers, birds, hearts, or dots will feel like stars in many instances.
Play with different kinds of stripes and patterns... and add accessories with stars or blocks of color or anything. You can even do a flag-like outfit in black and white... or orange, white and blue. Trust me, it looks fab.
Experiment. Play in your closet. Be unique.
4. Red White and Blue Resort 2017
If you google resortwear 2017, you'll get a ton of ideas for new ways to show your American spirit. The inspiration outfit above (on the left) is from A.W.A.K.E resort. I love the addition of unusual colors. It keeps the outfit fresh and lively... and unpredictable.
See more ideas from Vogue on my Americana Fashion Pinterest page. Look for the Pinterest icon at the bottom of the page.
5. Rock N Roll Americana - Clothes for Boho Women
If you're under 40 or you're the type of woman who likes to walk on the wild side, the photo above has some ideas that will get your motor humming. It's always fun to wear normal stars and stripes, but there's nothing wrong with going feral every now and then. Who wants to be overly domesticated?
Photo Credits: Most photos from Prshots.com.
- Main Photo: Joy Villa in Make America Great Again dress, photo Ekstrabladet.dk.
- Wear Classic Americana at Any Age: Melania Trump on Pinterest. (Marc Jacobs flag bag Neiman Marcus - out of stock.) Jeans outfit RiverIsland.com. Red bag SimplyBe.com.
- Only One Flag Per Outfit: Sleeveless denim jacket DollfaceClothingXO Etsy.com. Flag scarf AnyTimeScarf Etsy.com.
- Mostly Denim & Blue Americana for Women: Jeans Outfits LaRedoute.com, WhiteStuff.com, NewLook.com, MarksAndSpencer.com. Bottom: RiverIsland.com, NewLook.com, Accessorize.com.
- Americana Can Use Flowers, Dots, Stripes, Color Blocks, Etc.: HouseOfFraser.com Sportmax, Next.co.uk, DorothyPerkins.com.
- Red White Blue n Turquoise Americana Outfit: Resort 2017 Vogue.com, star wrap CashmereRebel.co.uk, red floral skirt RiverIsland.com, red dress NewLook.com, bag Accessorize.com, shoes DuneLondon.com. (The Pinterest photo: hat Overland.com, sunnies FolliFollie, shoes Wallis.com.)
- Rock N Roll Americana Clothing for Women: rocker jacket JudasChristClothing Etsy.com, khaki sequin dress MissPap.co.uk, tee shirt dress MissPap.co.uk.
More Retro Fashion Articles and Other Nonsense for Baby Boomer Chicks:
Leave a message at the bottom of the page if you're bored. It won't show up until I approve it... and God only knows when that will be.