Wearable Clothing Trends for Summer: 17 Fashions for Women Over 40
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
Here are some cute trends you can wear through summer, fall, and beyond no matter what your age. If you’re over 50 or 60, you’ll have to tweak some of these outfits to make them look right. If you’re a woman in your 40s, you can wear almost anything. You’re still a kid to us.
Hot Summer Colors for 2014 and Beyond
1. Pastels: If you bought a pink or baby blue coat (or any pastel item) last year, it’s still in style. All pastels look great in summer with white and light neutrals. Later on, you can wear pastels in winter with jeans or with black.
2. Gray: Gray is not my best color but it looks amazing on my sister, so it might be your best hue. Look for gray T-shirts, tennis shoes, jeans, sweaters, and coats. If gray is your neutral, you should try to get a few things while it’s hot.
3. The Color Orange: Now, this is a color I could love. Every woman has a shade of orange she can wear. From bright neon to pinky tangerine to soft peach to various shades of rust, there is a good orange for you. Wear orange with white, beige, or denim blue in summer, and wear it with navy blue or chocolate brown when the weather gets cold.
If you can find something like the orange dress in the main photo, you can wear it now as a summer sundress. When it’s cooler, you can dress it up for dinner (or for a cruise formal night) by adding high heels and a statement necklace.
4. Gold and Silver Colors: Metallics are hot for summer and they’ll be trendy for a while. Go for metallic accessories or risk looking like the inner wrapping of a candy bar. (Well, a metallic bomber jacket might be cute, but don’t go metallic from head to toe.)
5. Brights with White: Bright cobalt, fuchsia, turquoise or yellow always looks summery and fabulous when you have a tan. Later in the year, pair these same brights with autumn colors or deep jewel tones to keep your spirits up. The yellow, linen-blend skirt in the main photo looks summery with black, but this skirt will also go with autumn colors, boots, tights, and cropped jackets.
Trendy Summer Clothing Shapes
Not every trend will look right on your body type, but here are the hottest summer shapes in stores now. And, when these goodies go on sale at the end of summer, you can scoop them up and wear them as layering pieces throughout fall, winter, and the coming spring.
6. Wide-Leg Trousers: Wide legs are slowly coming back… and not a moment too soon for older women who want to balance out their hips. The blue pants in the main photo are very 70s, and just like the 70s, platforms look great with wide-leg pants.
7. Collarless Coats: Collarless coats always give me a warm and fuzzy 60s vibe, and I like the way they make women’s necks look longer. The black and white coat in the main photo is shown over a white summer dress, but any coat in a similar style will look just as good over an all-black outfit during fall or winter. (This silhouette is good for apple shapes when worn over skinny jeans or leggings.)
8. Tea-Length Skirts and 50s Dresses: The yellow skirt in the main photo is a good example of the “new” back-to-the-50s shape. Look for any skirt (or dress) that has a full cut and a mid-calf length. (This is a great silhouette for hourglass and pear shapes.)
9. Boyfriend Jackets: Well, BF jackets are not new, but they’re still hip. I put the orange jacket in the main photo to show you how great and summery it looks with white and denim.
10. Sporty Luxe: Upscale sporty is a new trend. You can take any cute, pull-on, jogging pants and dress them up by adding high-heeled sandals. The trousers on the right in the main photo are “premium embellished track pants” with a drawstring waist. Some silky “sport” trousers have a racing line down each side.
11. Boxy Jackets: Boxy jackets seem to go with everything. Long boxy jackets are perfect over narrow silhouettes, like column skirts or skinny jeans. Cropped boxy jackets can go over anything, even flared skirts or wide-leg trousers.
12. Boxy Tops: This new style of top is sometimes called a shift blouse. Boxy tops are like slightly stiffer and dressier versions of T-shirts. Most of the time, these tops have elbow-length sleeves and short, cropped silhouettes. Boxy tops and jackets are so new they will be around for years.
13. Bomber Jackets: Check out the new bomber jackets in updated fabrics like metallics and prints that don’t look too summery.
14. Contrast-Collar Button Down Shirts: These menswear-inspired blouses are always a good, tailored look for older women.
15. Hip Florals: Large floral prints, embroidered flowers, and floral appliqué embellishments are trendy for summer… and are good forever and ever.
16. Obi-Style Belts: These wrap belts are the only kind I wear these days. They always fit and can be worn high, low, or right at the waist, depending on the outfit.
17. Diagonal Stripes: Most diagonal stripes make you look longer and leaner. Black-and-white and navy-and-white stripes are usually seasonless.
Okay ladies, you know what to do. Go out there and look for cute, trendy clothes on sale that will be perfect for summer 2014 and beyond.
More Fashion Articles for Women Over 40:
Photo Credits: All of these photos are from Asos.com and prshots.com. If you’re somewhat slender, you might be able to find these outfits on that site. If you’re a bit larger, you probably will have to look around various sites to find similar styles.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page or give us a Google Plus.