Hot Prints for Spring, Summer & Vacations: 7 Pattern Trends
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
You’re bored. You’re stuck at work wearing your ugly blue blazer and you need a way to jazz it up without spending a fortune. Well, here are seven hot patterns that will make everything in your closet sing. Look for trendy prints on inexpensive scarves, skirts, sundresses, T-shirts, shoes, bags, and belts… so you can update your spring, summer, and vacay wardrobe.
These prints will socialize well with all those boring neutrals that are hanging forlornly in your closet. So, grab some spice and let’s shake things up.
1. Chevrons: Graphic zigzags (stripes gone wild) seem to go with everything… and they go especially well with other geometrics. I recently went into the “big” city of Seattle on a glorious sunny day and there were lots of gorgeous girls in zigzag maxi skirts. Some of these fashionably hip young women worked at Nordies’ flagship store. Others were touristing around Pike Place Market. And, every one of those women in chevrons looked so fresh and modern compared to the average Seattleites in their average jeans and tees… night and day… I was so impressed; I’m going to find something for myself… maybe a chevron scarf.
2. Graphic Digital Patterns: These beautifully crazy graphic prints are like digitized photos that have been blown up beyond their wildest dreams… leaving traces of colorful psychedelia in their wake. (See the glowing, printed dress at the top of the page.) This type of pattern is computerized pointillism … or digital pop art… at its best. As an artist, I absolutely have to have one of these prints… maybe a T-shirt or a scarf. Too cool. Very vibrant.
3. Tropical Hawaiian Prints: These trendy jungle prints usually have palm trees, hula girls, parrots, pineapples, hibiscus, luscious greenery, and things like that. The coolest kinds are retro prints (or re-colorized retro prints) that have been resurrected from old vintage muumuus and Aloha shirts. If you’re lucky, you’ll be able to snag a vintage-printed “anything” in a thrift store… and wear it on your next beach vacation
4. Orchid Prints: Pantone’s Radiant Orchid was named color of the year for 2014, but I’m not talking about patterns with a lavender hue. I’m talking about images of orchids on scarves, shoes, dresses, bags, and tops. Some orchid images have been digitally manipulated… twisted and turned and enhanced so much that they are almost unrecognizable. But, they are there… subliminal orchids… of every color.
5. Mirror Image Prints: Digital prints like these (where the left side and the right side are a duplicate of each other) usually have flowers in them somewhere… roses, orchids, daisies, hibiscus and such… and, many mirror prints include a touch of animal print like leopard or zebra… making these prints very mix-and-match friendly. Other mirror prints are colorfully creative abstracts that let you look into the mind of some truly imaginative graphic artists. This is affordable art that you get to wear on your body… to enhance your aura and, if the images are placed correctly, your figure.
6. Tie Dye Prints: Modern tie-dyed fabrics are seldom “dyed”; they are printed fabric that gives the impression of having been tie dyed… very “contemporary hippie”. You can find tons of different print variations… from light pastels to unconscionably loud brights… so, choose the intensity that is most flattering to your coloring and to your complexion… especially when buying a scarf that will go right next to your face. Tie dye forever, Baby.
7. Mixed Prints: If you don’t have the guts to put your own wicked combinations together, you can use ready-made mixed prints that have been artistically pummeled into trippy combos by savvy, creative digital designers. Scaredy Cats and Wallflower Women, who haven’t embraced this trend yet, should ease into mixed prints with the help of a little scarf… one which has two or more contrasting, playful patterns.
Well, these aren’t the only trendy prints that are perfect for spring and summer. You’ll also run across cute, retro novelty prints (with martini glasses, little bears, ponies, cutesy stuff like that), Asian florals, polka dots, stripes, India “bedspread” paisleys, and floral images of every kind… inked onto everything imaginable. And, all this fabulous technology makes our printed clothing more beautiful than we ever could have imagined in the past.
More Fashion Articles for Hip, Creative Women Over 40:
What do you think of this article? Leave a message at the bottom of the page or give us a Google Plus.
Resources: Photos courtesy of prshots.com.
- Main Photo: Chevron top from Essential Antwerp. Graphic digital dress from Asos. Tropical Hawaiian print outfit from Les Prairies de Paris. Orchid print dress from Asos. Mirror print dress from Asos.
- Asian, Mirror, Paisley Prints for Spring: Asian print dress from Closet. Mirror print dress from Lipsy. India "bedspread" paisley dress from Minkpink.
- Mirror, Graphic, Tie Dye Prints for Summer: Mirror print dress from Ted Baker. Graphic digital pattern dress from Pippa Lynn. Long tie dyed kimono from Band of Gypsies.
- Trendy Tie Die, Mixed & Novelty Prints for Summer: Tie dye mini dress from Asos. Mixed print dress from House of Holland. Novelty top with bears and martini glasses from Antipodium.