8 Accessories Trends for Spring & Summer
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
Accessories are the easiest way to update your wardrobe for spring and summer. Here are some of the trendiest looks that are suitable for women of all ages.
1. Statement Pumps: Whether you need something cute for work or you want some hot shoes for date night, here are a few of the newest trends for pumps (courts):
- Color Blocking
- Perforated (Cut outs)
- Printed Pumps (florals, geometrics, snake print, tribal, etc.)
- Embellished Heels or Toes (gold and/or rhinestones)
Actually, you can find these trendy looks on all kinds of shoes: high-heeled sandals, flat sandals, brogues, gladiators, espadrilles, ballerina flats, Keds tennis shoes… and probably other shoes I can’t remember… but pumps are a big look right now.
2. Nude Accessories: Skintone heels are always perfect for spring and summer because they make your legs look longer and they sort of make you look barefoot, which is always fun. This year... and probably for the next few years... nude shoes, belts, and purses are de rigueur. And, they go with everything. I especially love nude accessories with black (or white).
3. Metallic Sandals and Purses: There are all kinds of metallic accessories out there, but I especially love gold (or silver) flat gladiator sandals for summer. Actually, any kind of strappy gladiator shoes are great. Some of the new metallic accessories are iridescent or holographic, a look that's better for younger chicks.
4. Box Clutches: Clutches are fabulous for glamming up any daytime outfit, even jeans. And, box clutches are perfect when you’re wearing eveningwear… of course.
5. Bold Architectural Gold Jewelry: If you like clean lines and mod or tailored clothing, look for bold, graphic jewelry, especially goldtone cuffs and bangles. These new bracelets will bring your style quotient up a notch.
6. Color Block Accessories: When you’re wearing pastels, one of the easiest ways to update your outfit is to add monochrome (black and white) color-blocked accessories. Black and white color blocking (or geometric prints) will keep your outfit from looking too precious and prissy. You can also get the same feeling by doing this in reverse… wearing pastel color-blocked accessories with a monochrome (or black) outfit.
7. Statement Necklaces: You may already have several of these inexpensive statement necklaces on chains, but if you don’t… you should. Get colors that flatter your skintone or try out simple goldtone or silvertone necklaces that go with your other jewelry. Cute, cheap statement necklaces like these are perfect for travel, and they are equally good with tailored outfits or boho tops and dresses. (I wear colorful statement necklaces with oversized earrings that fall down to my shoulders, however that might be a bit much for you if your face is tiny.)
8. Hats for Spring & Summer: Along with the usual hats we all love, like large fedoras, small fedoras, cloches, and summery cowboy hats, the trendiest new style for spring is the shaker hat. Well, turbans (with or without birdcage veils) are also a new trend, but I think those look better on younger chickadees, unless you’re very fashion-forward.
There are other great things you can wear... even if you’re a woman over 40, 50, or 60… like fringed purses, Aztec print bags, and shoes with clear heels. However, I really love the 8 accessory trends on my list. You don’t need to spend a fortune to try out one or two of them… to give your spirits a boost.
More Articles for Women Over 40, 50, 60:
Resources: All photos are from prshots.com.
- Main Photo: Apricot.
- Statement Pumps: Asos, Tamaris.
- Nude Accessories: Long Talll Sally, House uf Fraser.
- Metallic Gladiators: Asos.
- Box Clutch and Bold Jewelry: River Island.
- Color Block: Long Talll Sally, Accessorize.
- Statement Necklaces and Shaker Hat: Asos.
What do you think of this article? Will you wear any of these trends? Leave a message at the bottom of the page or give us a Google Plus.