Wearable Spring Fashion Trends: 9 Ways to Add Color
4. Biker Jackets: You can still wear your black biker jacket, but when you need something more exciting than black, look for colored leather or faux-leather moto jackets. They come in different lengths and shapes. They also come in plus sizes, like the spring green moto jacket.
5. Bright Shoes or Boots: You can wear bright cobalt or red or pink or whatever with an otherwise all-black outfit. I’ve seen it done in Paris. It’s very chic, and it's an extremely cute trend. Just make sure you have small feet or wear shoes that make your feet look small... your feet usually look smaller when wearing heels.
6. Printed Skirts: Look for patterns ranging from tribal Aztec to floral Baroque. Printed skirts and leggings are good for balancing top-heavy apple shapes. Just make sure that the top doesn’t contrast with the skirt at the waist, and you might be better off with a tunic top over a pencil skirt. The right prints can be surprisingly flattering on pear shapes because some prints act as camouflage.
7. Colored Tights and Hosiery: Unless you’re trying to hide your legs, colored or printed tights are an inexpensive way to try out new ideas. Look for folkloric folk-patterns, zigzag chevrons, red tartans, wild (or subtle) florals, or plain opaque colors from brands like Hue or Merona. You can match your outfit and go all the same color from head to toe, or you can wear a color that contrasts with the rest of your outfit, just for fun. See the book Advanced Style for ideas about getting out of your boring comfort zone.
8. Mixed-Print Clothing: The easiest way to mix prints is to buy something that’s already mixed and matched for you. Use the colors and patterns in the top, dress, handbag, shoes, or whatever, as inspiration for the rest of your outfit. Don’t be afraid to pair small repeating patterns with wild prints. But, take this trend one step at a time… or you may go overboard… just like I do every now and then. (But, how else can I learn how to wear a new trend... unless I experiment with various ideas on my own body?)
9. Colorful Necklaces: This is for those of you who are afraid to wear color. Try taking baby steps. Well, one of those baby steps might include trying out a long, colorful necklace or pendant. After that, you can move up to a wild, boho bib or choker with colorful earrings. Hey, I love pearls with a passion, but sometimes they feel kinda boring.
There are lots of other trendy ways to add color: turquoise polka-dotted scarves, pink animal-print handbags, red rose-print sweaters, subtle tribal-print jeans, and more. I know you can do this. It takes a little courage to wear an outfit that’s not black or brown, even in spring, but it’s so much fun when some 30 year old comes up and says she loves your fashion style. It's so worth it.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page or give us a Google Plus.
More Articles for Baby Boomer Women: