Dressing Your Age: What Women Over 45 Shouldn’t Wear
by Paula Sheamus,
The following is an interview in which Paula Sheamus of the UK interviews her mother about what clothing tasteful women should not wear after the age of 45:
I remember there have been some major differences between my mother's and my own personal taste when it comes to clothing and accessories since I was a teenager. These differences have often been the reason why my mother and I ended up screaming at each other without realizing that each generation has its own fashion trends and it is completely normal not to like the same things, even being a mother and daughter.
I must confess that after entering my twenties, and especially after I turned 25, my relationship with my mother became more relaxed and we even started ending up with the same opinion about some matters. Of course, the tension when it comes to clothing has not completely disappeared but I noticed that my mother takes my opinion and has even started to trust my taste, which resulted in my mother letting me buy her a few pieces of clothing.
And, now, after my teenage years came to an end more than half a decade ago, I can proudly say that my mother and I talk more calmly on different matters, including fashion. Here is her opinion about what women over forty-five shouldn't wear:
What to Avoid After 40
We have all heard that nowadays the forties are the new thirties, and we have seen some TV ads showing women over forty, and even over fifty, showing wonderful bodies. However, in the real world, things are quite different from what we see in the ads. Although my mother is endowed with great genes and Mother Nature has been kind to her, she always says that turning forty, and especially forty-five, is indeed a boundary that changes many things once passed. Of course, this is not a cause for any drama, because women of our age must be able to highlight the advantages of her age and hide the disadvantages. And, this is particularly important when it comes to clothing and make-up, because, after all, every woman wants to look at her best no matter the age.
What Shouldn't Women Over 45 Wear
My mother used to say that there are a lot of temptations that a woman over forty-five must give up. Here is her personal list.
- Shorts: A big no, no, no! Shorts are supposed to show appetizing legs right to your butt and are definitely made for young girls and women. No matter how great you look, if you are over forty, you should definitely forget all about putting yourself in a pair of shorts.
- Mini-Skirts: There are women who can show a great figure and a healthy pair of legs at any age. No matter this, putting on a longer skirt will make you look better. Think about something about your knee, otherwise you may look ridiculous.
- Motorcycle Jackets: Leather may make a mature woman look sexier than ever when it is on a dress, suit or trench coat. However, if you are over forty-five, you better stay away from motorcycle jackets.
- Dresses with Floral Motifs: You don't want to look like your great-grandmother when she herself was over forty and fifty, right? If the answer of this question is positive, then don't buy any clothes with floral motifs on. Dresses like these ones are a privilege of the younger girls but they may become a true nightmare when put on by mature women.
- Transparent Clothes: Leave them to the 20-year olds. And, do not be mistaken with the concept of transparent clothes and airy pieces of clothing. If a part of a blouse or a dress is designed in chiffon or lace, this may become a wonderful accent to your femininity. If however, you put on a fully transparent dress, you go to an entirely different category of women, so do not do it.
Note from Tina Boomerina:
I agree with most of this, however I am in my early 60s and I wore miniskirts up until a few years ago. Well, I sometimes wore a black wool miniskirt with black tights, but it was not a micro mini, so I was well covered. I also take a different point of view on a couple of other issues:
- I believe that the right florals (especially Asian prints and some folk patterns) can look great on older chicks.
- I believe that some rockin' older women CAN wear shorts if they know what they're doing fashion-wise, if they take their time looking critically in the mirror, and if they get a good second opinion. The wool city shorts (worn with tights) in the above photo are a good example of a cute shorts for older women.
On the other hand, I think we all understand what Paula’s mum is trying to say. Heaven help us, we don’t want to risk looking like our great-grandmothers... or our great-grandmothers when they were half blind.
More Articles for Baby Boomer Women:
Photo Credits: Prshots.com. (Unfortunately, the photos are from prior seasons. Fortunately, the websites carry similarly styled clothing each season.)
- Main Photo: (pink Daisy Dukes) Oh My Love.
- Deep Down You Know the Answer: I forgot the source for the mini, La Redoute.
- Chic Woman Over 50 in Shorts: Debenhams.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page.