Lost Password?

A password will be emailed to you. You will be able to change your password and other profile details once you have logged in.

Wearable Clothing Trends for Fall: Women Over 40, 50, 60

trends for fall for old ladies

by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)

Most fashion writers talk about runway styles seen on the catwalk, but do you really care what's in those freak shows? I mean, it’s good art… it's beautiful stuff... but it’s not wearable clothing for real women over 40 or 50 or 60. I, on the other hand, like to critique (and write about) clothing from online stores in the UK and Europe. European trends are usually ahead of ours, but most of the time you can find similar styles (or the exact same styles) in the US.

clothing trends for women over 50Well... it’s not that I don’t look at catwalk trends. What kind of Boomerina would I be without a little fashion curiosity?

However, I don’t take much of that haute couture stuff seriously. So, go ahead and look at those wild fashions, but I know that most of you older women can figure out what’s doable and what’s trashable without the help of a 25-year-old with a keyboard and a fashion-school degree.

Clothing Trends for Older Women

Most Baby Boomer chicks will be able to take the best of the new trends and tweak those trends so that they will be appropriate for their age group. Of course, a few exceptions lurk in the dark, such as neo punk, crazy fur, embellished shorts and... I take it back about the punk. Some of us remember punk from the 70’s and we can do a small touch of it here and there. Hey, few onlookers in the United States will suspect that tartan can be subversive. It's okay for you to wear a bit of chain jewelry, but no safety pin piercings, please.

Easy Trends for Fall & Winter

There is almost nothing new under the sun… especially when it comes to fashion, but here are some of the fresh ideas that look good on most older women.

• best clothing for women over 40 50 60Repeating Patterns: Prints and patterns can help you hide fat and other imperfections. Of course, you have to do prints and patterns right or you will look worse.
  • Velvet Dresses: Who can dislike velvet dresses? They are silky and sumptuous. Just make sure the drape is good and the nap changes color in the right places.
  • Wide Legs: I’ve done a fair amount of research, and as far as I can tell, the online stores in France show both skinny leg pants (and jeans) as well as flares.  So, wear whatever looks good on your body or wear whatever you feel like on any given day.
  • Modern Plaid: Plaid for fall? What a surprise. But, this trend is a little different. It involves wearing plaid in surprising ways, like pairing it with leopard or with chiffon... or wearing different plaids within the same outfit. Some of the new, trendy plaids haveclothing for women over 40 50 60 been blown up to cartoonish proportions. Or, you can just wear plaid in the traditional ways that flatter your body.
  • Loose Silhouettes: I hesitate to put loose silhouettes in the “good” category. As long as you don’t look like you’re wearing a muu muu, I’ll give you a pass on this comfortable style. I think it's the clothing designers' answer to the age old question: What the heck will older ladies buy?
  • Shades of Green: There are three Pantone greens for fall, however it looks like every shade of green under the sun is hot.
  • Shades of Gray: Personally, I hate gray. I look like death in gray. But, it does not mean that you will.  If you have gray or white hair, this "color" may be one of your best looks.

Clothing Trends Carried Over From Summer

Here are some of the trends that have been carried forward from the last few seasons. (article continues)

Please continue reading about clothing trends for fall on page two.

Google+

Tina Boomerina (AKA Christina Gregoire) is a Baby Boomer born at the end of 1952. Her mission is to make the internet a kinder and gentler place for Baby Boomer women around the world. Tina's specialty is fashion for women over 50.

Follow Me on PinterestFollow My Boomer Lifestyle Blog on facebook

Related Posts

15 Comments

1. Bijoux Fantaisie

All women of all ages are crazy about fashion jewelry. The main reason behind it is the normal metallic jewelry can only be worn until certain age. Fashion jewelry will be the all time trend.

2. Over 40

Dear Max,

Love your blogs! Keep them coming!

xooxxo

3. Kaitte

So if the clothes are for us boomers age 40+, why are under age 20 and size 0-3 being modeled in the clothes

• Ann

I thought that too. Young skinny models.

• Tina-Boomerina

Ann,

I just use the photos provided. I'm a lone blogger trying to explain fashion trends and ideas. I don't have enough time and money to buy the clothes and get someone other than my husband to take photos. Every now and then you'll see me modeling what I wear... just so you all can have a good laugh.

Hopefully, someday I'll make enough money to buy all the clothes I want to show and I'll hire someone to take photos. But, other bloggers rip off photographs that they don't have permission to use. I don't do that. So, I use what is free - and those pictures are usually using young skinny girls (about 12) as models.

I don't like it either. I'm 61 and I'm a size 12-14 and sometimes a 1X. I used to be bigger... I used to be smaller. I used to be younger. I'm gonna be older (hopefully), but I just use the photos that are free. If you want to volunteer to be my model, I'll be glad to use you for my examples.

Someday, if I live long enough, I will find good models who are over 20! And, who look like normal women.

Cheers, Tina Boomerina

4. Kaitte

So if the styles are for boomers age 49+ because the last boomer born was 1964.. why aren't we modeling these clothes instead of under 20, and size 0-3

5. Ms C.

I am a 50 year old Jazz Funk Boogie EDM singer, and I am about to have a huge concert and CD release party. I am also having a fashion challenge. I cannot wear the stuff I used to wear back in the day because I don't want to appear like "mutton dressed as lamb." What things are appropriate for an artist in those to look cool and relevant but not look utterly ridiculous?

• Tina-Boomerina

Ms C,

First of all, you can wear almost anything as long as you adapt it with a few tweaks. For example, you don't want to wear minis that are as short as what you wore when you were 30.

If you used to wear glittery sequins, you probably will want to wear them only in the places you want to emphasize like your boobs or your waist... if you still have one. Things like that.

For some reason, I see you wearing a long midi pencil dress. I have no idea what you look like, but pencil skirts and dresses are hot right now. I would keep the flash, but give yourself some coverage. I wonder if I can find your photo online. Could you see yourself in a pencil dress with a sequined bolero top? Something like that?

I'm going to email you with some ideas. But, remember that you can get away with almost anything as long as you're on stage and you have the right attitude. Really.

Tina

• Tina-Boomerina

Ms C,

Check out the olive khaki pencil dress (midi length) in the bottom photo on this page. If you're curvy, you might look great in a revved up version of this style: http://boomerinas.com/2014/01/02/is-khaki-green-still-hot-for-2014-womens-fashions/

That's what I'm thinking. It's new. It's hip. You can show off your curves without showing a lot of skin... or you can show skin if you want. (I know I would, but my cleavage is my best asset... but you may not need to show anything... you might just want to suggest what you've got... just try things and have people take photos.)

T

6. Kathleen

I agree with Kaitte. Why are fashions not shown on real women? The other thing I hate is when I say I am overweight, I immediately get bumped to plus size clothing. I am too short and small boned for plus sizes. I look ridiculous in plus sizes. However, I do want to look fashionable. I do not own nor will I ever wear sweat pants!

• Tina-Boomerina

Kathleen,

I agree with both you and Kaitte. First off, let me tell you how happy I am that you do not live in sweats. They are fine for the gym, but women who live in sweats look like they are wearing pajamas.

Next, I want to tell you why I use photos of young, skinny women or young, plus-sized women. The reason is that I refuse to steal copyrighted photos. I only use photos from sites that have given me permission to use their photos - and sometimes I use photos of myself. Many bloggers don't care and they rip off copyrighted material.

And, I don't have the time or money to pay for photos of older women in current fashions. Read this article and click the link to send an email to the website where I get my free fashion photos. http://boomerinas.com/2013/10/21/why-use-young-swimsuit-models-for-baby-boomer-articles/ Please send an email and tell Richard (or anyone at the website) that we would like to see more diversity in their choice of models. Ask him to forward the email to his clients.

I am just one a one woman operation. These photos are supplied by fashion companies. I'm just trying to help other women my age (or any age) find clothing that looks good on them. I am also hoping that fashion designers will read the articles and the comments on my site and manufacture cute, affordable clothes for us.

7. Jacinto Riedman

Really just so that You are already aware, your webblog doesn't to remain unseen, continue doing your work, awesome bits and pieces.