How to Save Money on Clothes & Style: 16 Ideas for Women Over 40, 50, 60
[continued from page 1]
13. Mix and Match: Mix your prints and patterns. This will make your simpering, cutesy prints look fierce. You can find interesting, patterned clothing on sale when everyone else is shopping for black. And, remember that leopard is used just like a solid. (Tip: Start small and don’t test out new combinations on a workday unless you work in the entertainment industry or the arts.)
Best Everyday Jewelry for Women
14. Your Wedding Ring: Spend more money on your wedding ring and less on your clothing. If you are getting remarried or you have a chance to upgrade your ring, look for something great. If you're single, shop estate jewelry to find something large, funky, or fabulous to be your signature ring. Nice jewelry elevates apparel from Target or Old Navy. And, in the long run, you’ll save money, while looking chic.
15. Basic Earrings: Wear the same earrings everywhere. Once you get the right earrings, mine are mabe pearls, you will never want to take them off. I can’t tell you what earrings you should wear, because it depends on your face shape and your bone structure, but you will probably look fabulous in one of these styles:
- Diamond Studs: You can wear fakes if they aren’t too large. Large CZs or rhinestones will make people wonder if your earrings are real. However, if you have a large (real) diamond wedding ring, you might be able to get away with large CZ studs. People will assume you can afford diamonds.
- Black or White Pearl Studs: These are perfect if you have delicate bone structure. But, try different colors. There are no hard and fast rules about what shade of pearls goes with different hair colors.
- Large Mabe Pearls: Large pearls are fabulous if you have a rounder, larger face. I sold my diamond studs because they were lost on me.
- Large Yellow or White Gold Clip/Post Earrings: Large earrings work well if diamond studs look ditsy on you.
16. Costume Jewelry: Once you have your signature, wear-everywhere jewelry, you can add all kinds of wooden, plastic, base-metal, or faux-pearl pieces that come from consignment shops or Target. Your good jewelry will make your cheap stuff look great. Well, you have to use your good taste, with this method. But, I’m not using the phrase “good taste” the way your mother would. I mean “exotic and fun” good taste.
One of my ideas might help you add snap to your style. I hope so, because it’s no fun to have no money for new clothes. Then again, you could live like a hippie by eating nothing but brown rice and steamed veggies in order to save money for fun accessories or trendy clothes. Or, maybe, it's up to you to create the new "new".
More Groovy Articles for Baby Boomer Women:
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page.