Hippie Hairstyles for Weddings: Long or Short Hair
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
You can have a hippie wedding to save money or to show the world that you’ve always been a rebel. Either way, a boho wedding is much more fun than an uptight, yawning, traditional ceremony.
So, here are some tips on hairstyles from the 1960s and 1970s that will flash your long hair or short hair into a grooving vintage look... and turn you into an angel bride from bohemian heaven.
I don’t care how old you are, it’s never too late to reinvent your inner bohemian. And, as a former hippie myself, I must insist that you are never too old to carry this off. Women who are over 40, 50 or 60 (like me) just need to keep things toned down and to use the good taste they’ve acquired over the last several decades. Yes, you must be a fashionable hippie… not a Walmart hippie.
Save Money With a Boho Wedding
There are lots of ways to save money on a wedding. One way is to do your own hair or have your daughter do it for you. Fortunately, hippies learned to live on a shoestring, so hippie hair is always easy to style. You just need to let your hair go natural. Then, you can add flowers and other adornments to accentuate your natural beauty. Once you start experimenting, you’ll find the right hairstyle to complement your skin, your body type, and your wedding “gown”… even if your wedding gown is a retro pantsuit from the 70’s or a Mexican wedding dress from a thrift store.
Natural Hair is Hippie Hair
As a modern-day Bohemian Gypsy Princess, your hair should look messy and sexy, not staid and sprayed. Hey, the best hippie hairstyle for you, my friend, depends on the natural state of your hair. If it’s curly, keep it curly. If it’s straight, keep it straight. If it’s wavy, wave back.
For a great hippie look, you want to work with the hair that Mother Nature gave you and let it do its own thing.
Do You Need a Hair Stylist for Your Wedding?
In a perfect hippie world, you would not need to get your hair done by a stylist… but since you are an older bride, you might feel happier with a little extra help. And, that’s why I won’t chastise your hippie butt for getting your hair cut and styled by Mssr. OoohLaLa-LahDeeDah at Chez Credit Card in Beverly Hills. However, it’s cheaper and easier just to get your daughter or your friend to help you out by fixing your hair in a creative, casual style.
Hippie Hairstyles for Long Hair
Whenever I visualize the word “hippie,” I see a gypsy girl with long, flowing brown hair playing an acoustical guitar (badly) and singing about her one true love. Well, during the 60’s and 70’s, the length of one's hair was a big deal for all Baby Boomers because long hair symbolized defiance against “The Man.” These days, you and I are “The Man" or "The Establishment," but long hair still means rebelliousness to people our age. And, back in the day, our hippie hairstyles were worn as silent opposition to the over-controlling, over-conforming, uptight women who wore over-sprayed, over-styled, uptight hairdos. Silly, but true.
Well, the whole point of being a bohemian is that you get to do whatever you like, as long as you aren’t hurting another being. So, actually, there are no “rules.” Most hippies tended to like the same things that their friends liked, but the whole point of being a hippie was that you could make up your own rules, so if you have a hairstyle that looks fabulous on you and it’s different from the ones on this list, it’s your hair… it’s your wedding… it’s your life. Do what makes you feel beautiful.
Long Hairstyles for Hip Women Over 40 or 50 or 60
It doesn’t matter if you have long hair or short hair. Either length can work with your bohemian wedding “theme.”
Long Straight Hair
Straight hair is perfectly 60's just as it is. Try one of these easy styles:
- Long straight hair is easy. Just part your hair in the middle after washing and keep brushing your hair until it’s dry.
- Pull your straight hair back into a braid or a ponytail or a messy chignon, and then pull a few tendrils down near your face. Leave the loose hair straight or add shape with a curling iron.
Long Wavy or Curly Hair
Curly hair was out of style throughout the early 60's, but "ethnic" hair became chic when bohemian chicks started leaving their hair natural to protest the hours of grooming that were essential for everyday, modern 60's style. Try one of these looks:
- Long wavy hair should be left to air dry. Then, fluff your hair with your fingers, so you don't lose your curls by using a brush.
- Pull your wavy hair back and loosen a few tendrils around your face.
- Lots of little hair clips will keep your long hair in place when you pull it up.
Short Hippie Hair
You don’t have to wait until your hair grows out. Just try these tips.
- A messy haircut or any short cut with long bangs will always look bohemian.
- Long dangly earrings will make your hair "feel" longer.
- A long headband/scarf tied in the gypsy manner will make short, clipped hair look very boho.
- Rhinestone sparkles or everyday flowers added to your hair will make you look like a flower child.
- Short curly hair always has a bohemian vibe. Just let it be curly and forget about it.
Most hippies didn't wear those fancy French braids, but go ahead if you know how to do them. On the other hand, you should keep in mind that tight French braids will make your thin hair look even thinner. Here are some bohemian braid ideas:
- Pull your hair to the side and do a casual side braid.
- Make a folkloric braid if your hair is long. If your hair is short, buy a braid or a braided extension. Extensions can also be worn across the forehead.
- Make one tiny braid (or one on each side of your face) and let it hang down. You can pull both braids back if you want. Keep the rest of your hair down or pull it up.
- A loosely woven French braid is great for wavy hair.
After playing with these hairstyles, you will see how to really have fun with fabulous hippie headbands, circlets, flowers, and other bohemian hair accessories. These extras will make you look even more outrageously gorgeous than when you were a kid... back when you were a hippie the first time around.
More Articles for Baby Boomer Women:
Photo Credits: Prshots.com
- Main Photo: F&F at Tesco.
- Hippie Hair Hairstyles: Crew.
- Braided Wedding Hair: Asos.
- Curly Hippie Hair: Paul's Boutique.
- Boho Beauty is Natural: Asos.
- Cute Natural Boho Hairstyle: LaRedoute dress with Peter Pan collar.
- Natural Boho Hippie Hair: Topshop.
What do you think of this article? Leave a message at the bottom of the page. It won't show up until approved.