22 Christmas Gift Ideas Under $10, $20, $25, $30
by Christina Gregoire (Tina Boomerina)
Here are some inexpensive Christmas presents that will make people smile. Find funny and cute ideas for fun-loving coworkers, friends, kids, and family members who like things that are zany and different... and cheap.
Many of these gifts are under $10. Some are best as gag gifts. All are under $30, even when factoring in essential elements that need to be added.
Funny, Crazy Gift Ideas under $10
Disclaimer: If I don’t like something, it didn't make the list… for example, bacon candy is out. And, I don’t know much about Doctor Who, so Doctor Who didn't make the cut.
Some of the items on the list have been recommended by my retail-shopping-therapy daughter, so I'll let you know which ones are her picks by giving the product "two thumbs up." Most of these items can be found at more than one store, so they are sometimes found under other names.
1. Unfortunate Cookies: I have also seen these called Evil Fortune Cookies and Misfortune Cookies. Two thumbs up.
2. Screaming Monkey Slingshot: This screaming-monkey routine will get old fast, so give this to a college kid who lives in a dorm or give it to the child of someone you dislike. Heck, get one for each kid or for all of your grandchildren if they live in another state. This toy requires some manual dexterity, so the crying of smaller children who can't manage the slingshot will add to the chaos. (Actually, I think I really want one of these. It goes well with the 3. Monkey Cable Organizer. I love everything chimp.)
(If the noise is driving you crazy, refresh the page.)
4. Domo Plush: Why yell at people when you can just show them your Domo and have your Domo growl at them? I definitely need this, so I can be even more passive aggressive.
5. Fred M Cup Measuring Matroyshkas: These are adorably cute little measuring cups that fit inside each other like Russian dolls. Find these at Amazon and many other sites.
6. Tie-Not Water Balloon Filler & Tying Tool: This water balloon war-waging tool is a really fabulous idea for boys of all ages. It comes with 100 balloons and gets two thumbs up. Actually, you can get two of these balloon fillers for $10, but you should note that your warring pals will need access to a hose. If you don't have access to a garden hose, get the portable Tie-Not Battle Pump balloon filler.
7. Men's AM/FM Shower Radio: Now your husband or boyfriend won't miss a single minute of Rush Limbaugh. Wow, a perfect gift for your obsessively conservative Baby Boomer friends. This is from Target.com.
8. Dippy Bird: I've been thinking about this stupid bird for 10 years trying to remember what it's called. Well, it's called dippy, drinking, or thirsty bird on various websites. Really, I have been trying to remember what makes the little guy move. It's a science experiment for kids (not little kids) and it's a nostalgia toy for Baby Boomers.
9. Medieval Weapons Push Pins: Perfect for tacking up notes at the office. Two thumbs.
10. Knock Knock Sh*t List: This is a good way for someone to keep track of who's who on their list. I think Nixon must have had one of these for his enemies list, thus freeing up his mind to concentrate on bigger issues, like how to open up China to trade... in order to get even with the average American worker.
11. Ice Speed Chess Set: If you REALLY want to learn how to play speed chess, you will need melting chess pieces. You could also use this to make cool ice cubes. (If you're like me and you're still learning the game, you may prefer 12. No Stress Chess, which teaches you how to play, and this gift would be good for kids.)
13. Shake Weight Dumbell: Girls have another name for this device, which actually does tone your arms. Let's just say that men already have their own Shake Weight Dumbell.
Christmas Gifts Under $20
14. Giant Gummy Snake: Hours and hours of gummy bliss. If the gummy snake is too scary for you, you can find giant gummy bears, too.
15. Obama or Romney Toilet Paper: Well, this is a funny gag gift for $15.00. Best for one of those anonymous gift exchanges where everyone places a present under the tree. Probably not a good idea to give either of these to your boss. I wonder if anyone makes printable toilet paper where you can order a roll with a picture of someone from your sh*t list...
16. All-Natural Caffeinated Maple Syrup: Why waste time waiting for your coffee to cool? A good gift for a computer programmer... just add Eggos.
17. Felicia Damask Apron: Very cute retro-style apron from Target. A good gag gift for a guy or a good real gift for a mom.
18. Power-Up Electric Paper Airplane Conversion Kit: Perfect for your kid or your kid at heart. Two thumbs.
19. Brain Candle: This just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy... and it reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies, Young Frankenstein.
20. Constructive Eating Utensil Set: This cutlery makes a perfect toy for any little boy. Actually, I may want one. Two thumbs up.
Best Christmas Presents Under $25 or $30
21. .375 Caliber Bullet Space Pen: Yes, it's a pen. Yes, it writes upside down and in outer space and underwater. Weird and fun in so many ways. The pen is under $25, but I'm not sure if it comes with a cartridge, so you'd better buy one or the gift might suck.
22. Marshmallow Bow and Mallow: This toy definitely gets two thumbs up. Great for boys of all ages. Don't forget the ammo (marshmallows). Two huge thumbs up. Some stores have this for under $20, so look around, however I am factoring in lots of squishy marshmallows into the price.
Well, the only difficult part of putting this list together was narrowing down the field. Look around. These are only a few of the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, fab stocking stuffers, gag gifts, and kiddie toys on the web.
And, some of thse children's gifts will be "borrowed" by dad.
More Articles for Baby Boomer Women (and their friends):