Lost Password?

A password will be emailed to you. You will be able to change your password and other profile details once you have logged in.

23 Trendy Plus-Size Clothing Sites for Large Women Sizes 1x – 12x

simplybe_128544

by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)

Someone contacted me recently looking for a peplum dress in a larger plus size and it took me a while to find one.  So, I decided to put together the best designer websites with the coolest and cutest clothes for bigger women. These websites start at 1x, 2x, and 3x, but this list takes you up to groovy extended sizes: 4x, 5x, 6x, 8x, 10x, and 12x.

Of course, I’m a bit artsy and fun loving when it comes to wardrobe options, so if you’re preppy, these may not be your faves.  My list is based upon what I like and what I would wear.  And, I've only included websites that ship to the US.best clothes for baby boomer women

My Biases With Larger Sizes

I am an apple shape, so I have probably skewed my selection based upon that, but I have tried to stay unbiased.  Also, since I am a baby boomer and I think older women need better clothing, some of these sites have fairly expensive clothes…but not all of them.  In addition, I am fond of dresses, because I find them more comfortable and easier to fit than pants.  And, this bias is probably reflected in my choices.

Extended Sizes for Women

Some of the websites on this list have a link to a photo that (I think) is a good representation of the type of clothing you can find on the site.  And, I’m fairly choosy about clothing brands.  I was a "regular size" up until a few years ago when my body went hyperthyroid and I had to take some lovely medications, which pushed me up into the smaller, plus-size range.  The weight was supposed to come off when I stopped the meds, but that just didn’t happen.  My "set point" changed after my body ballooned out from the horrible steroids, which were a necessary evil to prevent possible blindness.

Let's see... fat or blind... fat or blind? I'll take fat.

Oh well.  The upside for you is that this has made me more aware of larger women’s clothing needs.

Cute Women's Clothing Up to Size 4x:

1. SimplyBe.com: Simply Be is one of my favorite sites.  It’s a UK company that’s branched out to give us tons of cute and fashionable styles.  I love Joe Brown’s tunics and dresses. They have a funky, 60s San Francisco style and I own one of his tunics.  (I'll be looking for more later today...for real.)  His stuff is great on my apple-shaped bod.  Simply Be also has some less-expensive Anna Scholtz dresses than you'll find at her main site.best brands for women over 40 50 60

2. Navabi.us:  I think this company started in the UK or Germany, but I’m not sure.  They have great funky designer styles that I’ve never seen anywhere else.  Double check the measurements for their sizes because the numbers vary by country.  (I always check out the chart and the return policy before I order from any site.  On the other hand, you should not be afraid to try something new.  You don’t want to look like everyone else, do you?)

3. New Look: Some of the clothes on this site are a bit Hot-Topic-ish, but if you use your good taste, you will snag some great finds.

4. BigGirlsUnited.com: This site has beautiful, simple, drapey dresses that would look great on almost everyone.  The photo in the link shows the Monique dress.

4X. Mod cloth .com: I just found out that this trendy site has larger plus sizes. All of these clothes in the link go up to 4x. This is such a happy discovery. I can't wear their 50s vintage dresses, but I can most certainly wear their happy tops.

(Article Continues)

Photo credits are on page three.

Keep reading about trendy plus-size clothing on page two.

Share on Google+1Pin on Pinterest728Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0

Tina Boomerina (AKA Christina Gregoire) is a Baby Boomer born at the end of 1952. Her mission is to make the internet a kinder and gentler place for Baby Boomer women around the world. Tina's specialty is fashion for women over 50.

Follow Me on Pinterest Follow My Boomer Lifestyle Blog on facebook

Related Posts

23 Comments

1. Debbie

Thank you I'm 300 lbs (thyroid problem) and could never find decent plus clothing anywhere until now.

2. Christina Gregoire

Debbie,

I feel you. My weight gain is from a thyroid problem, too. Some people think, "Oh yeah, right. That 'thyroid' thing is just an excuse." Well, I lost 30 pounds one month and gained 50-60 the next month...without changing anything like diet or exercise. I don't care what those clueless people think.

Thank God for the internet. Without it, I would be stuck wearing my bathrobe everywhere. I'm glad you like the article.

Cheers,
    Tina

• Karina

A weight gain of that much in one month is not what you are eating. Sounds like it could be Cushings .I was told I had hypothyroidism and I do, but I also have Cushings and alot of the symptoms are the same as thyroid. Cushings causes a lot of damage to the body and is hard to diagnose. Check it out, better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for the great ideas.

• Tina-Boomerina

Karina Boomerina,

You are right. I had a THYROID problem, which (probably) was a result of a neck surgery. I lost 30 pounds one month from hyperthyroidism and I gained 30 pounds in a month from hypothyroidism after having my thyroid ablated. I thought I explained that, but I'll put it in the article if I left it out. (I've written several articles that mention my thyroid issues and related weight gain, so I might have forgotten to include it in this one. I'll double check.)

Tina Boomerina

3. Tina K

Great site Christina. Love the plus size sites you recommend. Love the clothes. Thanks for the ideas.

4. Christina Gregoire

Hey Tina,

Thanks so much for your comment.

Tina Boomerina

5. Jenna S

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I actually found things that not only fit but things I actually like!!

6. suesmith

perfect, love this plus size dress, these are just for me!

• Tina

Sue,

I was skinny for most of my life, but nothing stays the same forever.

In the beginning, it was terribly hard for me to adapt to my new clothing size (the change was caused by meds and it was an extreme, dramatic, overnight weight gain of almost 80 pounds), but I have had great success with online stores. (I still like trendy stuff and I'm always trying new clothing combinations.)

What the heck would we do without the internet? I'm so glad you found a dress you like! I hope this list was helpful and will be helpful in the future.

I'm tooting my own horn a bit, but I spent ages putting this list together and I use it myself whenever I'm looking for something fun in my size... so you might want to bookmark it. And, if you have any other sites... especially, unusual ones... add them in the comment section.

Cheers,
      Tina Boomerina

• Tina

ps Anyone who wants to add to this list can leave a comment, and I'll either write another article "Trendy Plus Size Sites Part Deux," or I'll add your sites at the bottom of this article. (Spammers will be ignored.)

7. kay kerns

I am a 308 lb 5' 5" Apple shape , pretty much big all over but with narrowish shoulders. I have hippieish bohemian taste in clothes so your tips and postings are so right on, plus you do great research! Have you written any books? On fashion especially?

• Tina

Kay,

I have not written any books, but I should write one. After all these years, I know what women are looking for.

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

8. Connie

Are you in CANADA?

9. Connie

Do you deliver to Ontario or have a store nearby Goderich?

• Tina-Boomerina

Connie,

Oh, didn't understand the question. I am a blogger. I don't own a store. I just tell women about stores and online sites and clothing styles that I think they would like

Many of the stores that deliver to the US also deliver to Canada. Is there a specific store or style of clothing that you want me to check into? I'm happy to help whenever I can.

Tina

10. Patty

Thank you for sharing the links of where to find the bigger gals clothes! Being DeafBlind, going through debilitating FM at times and being a Mom of fraternal twin toddlers, I've no time for shopping. As parents know, sacrifices are made with multiples. However, it's nice to treat ourselves to a new piece of clothing. Thanks!

11. Tina-Boomerina

Patty,

Thank you so much for your comment. I'm so amazed that you can do twins... wow. Normally, I answer everyone by email but I'm way too far behind in my work to do that right now. I love hearing your views. Thanks for commenting. You sound amazing.
    Cheers,
    Tina

12. Mona

Has anyone tried eShakti.com? I've seen it advertised and look at the site -- some cute clothes and you can modify certain dresses to your preferences. I think it looks interesting and clothing costs are not bad.

13. Marie

SimplyBe and ModCloth do not use plus sized models. Navabi and NewLook kind of do, but not really. The only one that uses plus sized models, so that you can get a reality check on what you are wearing is BigGirlsUnited. I am tired of ordering clothes online that give me no idea what is going to look like on just to have to turn around and send it back. I am already unhappy with the way I look, returning clothing does not help.

• Tina-Boomerina

Marie,

I totally agree with you. It's so hard to imagine what clothes will look like on a real person.

Don't be unhappy with the way you look. Be unhappy with the awful selection we have to work with. It's not you. It's the cut.

I hope all plus-size clothing companies read this. Actually, women should email-bomb clothing companies with their complaints about the models they use. I would like to see clothing shown on women who are a realistic size. I will never stop buying online because it gives me a better selection, but it is terribly hard to visualize an outfit when companies consider a size 12 model to be a plus size model.

Tina

• Tina-Boomerina

ps

Actually, what I would like to see is an outfit shown on different models of different sizes on a website page.

For example: If a dress comes in sizes 12 - 20, the site should show several models. They should photograph the dress on a gal who's size 12, next to a model who's size 16, next to a model who's size 20. Use the same idea for small sizes.

Websites can have the main photo be the one they would normally use to show off the dress. Then at the bottom of the page, there can be representations of various sizes. If the dress looks like crap on the size 20, the designer should put more work into designing a better garment.

Tina