Lost Password?

A password will be emailed to you. You will be able to change your password and other profile details once you have logged in.

How to Wear Leggings if You’re Over 40, 50 or 60

what to wear with jeggings

By Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)

Teens know how to wear leggings, but adult women over 40 or 50 or 60 have stricter fashion rules. And, I'll tell you all about what to wear with leggings so you will look trendy, but not silly.

Leggings are still a big hit, no matter what designers and magazines say or fail to say.  I was in Paris last summer and I saw women of all ages wearing leggings with skirts.  And, in the states, where everyone is more casual, leggings are perfect if done to perfection.

Can I Wear Leggings as Pants?how to wear tights

You will love wearing leggings as pants, as long as you wear them the right way. They are the perfect style for apple-shapes because leggings and jeggings are stretchy. Although teenage girls know everything on earth about leggings, if you are an older woman (over 40 or 50), I am going to tell you how to wear leggings without looking absurd or embarrassing.

Tunic Tops for Leggings

If you are over 18 and you don’t live in the Playboy Mansion, you must wear leggings with a top or tee that covers your hoo-ha and your booty. No exceptions, ladies.

You may wear your leggings or jeggings with:

• Long Tunics
  • Fun and flirty dresses – leggings as tights
  • Skirts
  • Big shirts that are long enough to fulfill requirements
  • Belted big shirts
  • Long, roomy sweaters
  • Long T-shirt tunics, T-shirt dresses

NOT Clothes to Wear With Leggings

The legging trend uses the silhouette of big over narrow. (Big top, narrow legs.) If you are wearing your leggings as pants, you cannot wear them with:

• A top that's shorter than mid-thighcan older women wear leggings?
  • A tight-fitting top

How to Wear Jeggings

You will love jeggings. If you are over 30, 40, 50, or 60, you can wear jeggings instead of jeans. Jeggings are like denim tights or very skinny jeans. And, any apple-shaped woman who has had children will find that jeggings are more comfortable than jeans. (When you hit 50, you will notice that most jeans suck and that jeggings are a chic alternative to the dreaded “mom jeans”.)

Apple Shaped Women

Apple shapes should take advantage of their shapely legs by wearing their jeggings under a long T-shirt or T-shirt dress and covering the T-shirt with a cute sweater coat or belted trench coat. If the trench is cute enough, you can wear that same outfit anywhere, from the malls of North America to the streets of Paris. However, you must wear jeggings (or leggings) that are heavy enough not to be confused with tights. (article continues)

Keep reading about how to wear leggings if you're an older woman on page two.

[continue to page 2]

Google+

Tina Boomerina (AKA Christina Gregoire) is a Baby Boomer born at the end of 1952. Her mission is to make the internet a kinder and gentler place for Baby Boomer women around the world. Tina's specialty is fashion for women over 50.

Follow Me on PinterestFollow My Boomer Lifestyle Blog on facebook

Related Posts

66 Comments

1. Chortle

HILARIOUS article! This is a serious "I need a good pick-me-up" laugh. Keep up the fab writing. Or, better yet, be a comedienne.

• Tina

Chortle,

I'm glad my dry sense of humor (as my hateful mother used to say, "What do you think... you're going to be a comedian?") has made your day. Come back often and cheer me up by letting me know that my mother was wrong and there is at least one person who thinks my snarky attitude has some merit.

Cheers,
      Tina Boomerina

2. Alex and Jacomine

I Jacomine wears always leggings as pants because the legging is a spandex pant!
    Most peopl are thinkin in boxes like the answers we see at the moment such as people who are 40 or 50 years must wearing it with a long vest or with skirt.

But I asked these short seeing people, some woman looked like 30 years and are 50 and vice versa.
    Will you asked the woman first how old they are?

Some people are so simple and do thinkin about it but, i have weared in the past skinny Levi jeans, then you also see my cameltoe and nobody make a problem about that.

The Legging is not the real problem but the cheap manufacturing of it, the jeans is much expensiver and that is better...

But I wearing with my 50 years old body and i looked like a 35 years old lady and i am doing what i want and whats fitting me good.

Also here in Holland they think in boxes when you are have money you must buy a audi but i do not like this car i like an toyota iq, nobody say to me what i should to buy.

Yes I am a individualist and these sort of people dies out, everyone is listen to others but that is not original.

• Tina

Jacomine,

Yes, there are some women your age (our age) who look good in leggings worn as pants. Personally, I think those women are few and far between, but I DO know one woman who is my age and she looks great in anything.

As long as your leggings are thick enough that they don't look like tights (dark hosiery), and as long as your "camel toe" hooha isn't extraordinarily, obviously, visible to the entire world, and as long as you look good, not slutty, you should wear whatever makes you look great.

Most women over 50 look like idiots when they wear leggings without a longer (tunic-length) top. Really. You might be one of those few women who look good with a shorter top, but most of us look like we got dressed without the benefit of a full-length mirror when we wear leggings as pants.

I am happy that you are an individualist. I am one too! I don't wear what everyone else wears. I don't buy a car because everyone else does. (I'm a former hippie and I do what I want!)

On the other hand, most women want to be individuals, but they don't want to look like skanks. So, go ahead and do whatever you want. Wear whatever you want. But, Jacomine, if your leggings are so thin and so tight that I can tell what kind of piercings you have in your nether regions... I would tell you to change your clothes... unless (of course) you live in the red light district and you are looking for "a good time."

Just be careful that you don't wear something skanky just because guys like it. Make sure that you're wearing clothing that honestly looks good on you. When in doubt, ask your daughter or your mother for her opinion.

• Michelle

Right efffing on Dude!!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!!!! I am 56......look 36""""""5'6 long redish blonde hair...never dyed...no gray.....120 lbs... Big boobs...real......tiny waist....small hips...no kids........just sayin... Not flirtin....but i bartend....and my man's ex...told me i dress wrong........bull....i can pull it off........i set trends...not follow.....i been wearin black tights/ now leggings with jean shorts or skirts since 1972 at my first ROLLING STONES CONCERT in San Francisco, Ca......s....WTFEVERRRRRR........i will ALWAYS BE ME.....STAY TRUE.....EfffffU to all them HATERS!!!!!

• Tina

Michelle,

More women should dress in whatever looks good on them. You sound like a San Francisco version of Betsey Johnson. Ms. Johnson still wears the same cool stuff and I think she looks great.

3. Marjon

The mother of my husbands said last week, some people in the media make the problem bigger than it is because it is a money problem and not a fashion problem, jeans manufacturers are selling not o good anymore....but tue good fitting and sitting Levi jeans is very thin jeans skinny or not you see if you good looking aleays the cameltoe, that was in 60,70,80 and 90's but nobody felt about it.

Most woman do not like their big butt wear an old slip and your butt looked much bigger, the butt are to half ones , a pant, a jeans or legging can make the different to see the split...the eyes seeing a nice butt when you wearing a string, hipster thong.

Do you know that we wearing underwear because the producers wanted it, it is not good to wear several clothes on each other a big slip and then a pant...from research from the 1950's japanese research, but the western people does no want in the publicity.

I am a woman not a men!
    In some religie like muslim, you may not wearing pants and also not legging, because is it is pant.

Legging is the same as a levi jeans with or without bags on it.

A tight o panty is thinner and see through that is the different.

Breast cancer who want to have it, wear a bh and there is big chance to get it.

Greetings Marjon

• Tina

Marjon,

Yes, I agree with most of that. Almost everything we wear is because some idiot somewhere wants us to buy it so they can make money. I don't wear jeans. I only wear skirts and leggings. But I wear tops that come down enough to cover my butt and my tummy when I wear leggings.

If I were skinny or if I had a better body, I might wear leggings with a shorter top. I wear jeggings (which are like jeans but more like leggings) and they look a lot like skinny jeans. I like them with knee-high high-heel boots. It's a nice look.

I'm not sure the translation is coming through. Are you saying that breast cancer is connected to wearing a bra? I will have to look into that. That may be true. I have heard that wearing panties can be a problem. But, I can't remember why.

4. Benie

I am 62 and have been wearing leggings since the early 80's and I refuse to stop wearing them. They are so much more comfortable then jeans and I can get 3 pairs for $10 at Ardene's on sale. Not a bad price for 3 pairs of pants. I wear only opaque tights underneath to avoid VPL and camel toe and that keeps me warm in our frigit winters.

• Tina

Benie,

Now THAT'S a really good idea. Not only are you saving money, but you have found a way to make your leggings look more like pants! I wonder what other great tips you might have.

Tina Boomerina

• Benie

Thanks Tina,

Living in a town that must be the "wear leggings as pants" capital of the world it is easy for us people over 40 to wear leggings as pants. The big secret is if you feel good and if your confident in how you look wearing your leggings then go for it. I wore leggings casually back in the early 80's when you mostly seen them in the gym, so I believe I was part of the fad of wearing them as pants. I own at least 40 pairs of leggings and 1 pair of jeans so I hope to still be wearing them when I turn 70.

5. theresa

I really love leggins and my "yoga" wear. As for jeans sucking I find express jeans work well for me and they have all sorts of different styles and sizing options: tall, curvy, short etc ...

• Tina

Theresa,

I will have to try them... maybe. I like jeggings because I like to breathe and most waistbands on jeans are too tight... IMO.

6. Katherine

I just purchased two pairs of fleece-lined leggings and was trying to figure out exactly how / what to wear them with. Googling how to wear leggings has made my night! These are some of the funniest posts I have read in a long time! Still not sure if I have anything in my closet I can make work, but I no what not to try!!! lol!

• Tina

Katherine,

I hope it's not too late to answer your question.

In general, I wear leggings with a long tunic-length top of any kind. It sounds like you are trying to stay warm, so a tunic-length cashmere sweater would be my top pick. Cashmere is warm even when it's lightweight. Of course, cashmere can be insanely expensive, so a lightweight wool or polyester tunic or cardigan would be my second choice.

Personally, I love sweaters that can be worn like coats. For example, look at the awful photo my husband took of me in Prague - It's in this article:

See the pic of me wearing a blue sweater from Nordstroms which matches my blue hat.

This sweater has one button and I wore it over a black tank top. (Really, the sweater and I look goofy in the photo, but my husband has camera dyslexia... the sweater looks like it doesn't come together, but there's a black box hanging around my neck... it real life the sweater is slimming and beautiful.) Any long sweater that wraps or ties (or can be left open) is my favorite thing to wear with leggings. Then, if I start to roast, I can take the sweater off and I've still got the long tee-shirt or tank top to wear. To me, the trick is to have all lightweight pieces. Look for "featherweight" tees. They don't add bulk.

7. Arleta

I love this article; it had great information and gave me a good chuckle! I recently bought my first pair of leggings since the mid-90s and hadn't decided if it was a good idea or not. I really like the idea of a tunic top or mid-thigh length dress and I'm going to go for it!

I just discovered your website today, but I will be back!
    Arleta

• Tina

Arleta,

Thanks for letting me know you like the site. I wear leggings all the time and all you have to know is that it's all about balance (and covering your tush).

Cheers,
      Tina Boomerina

8. Awkward Camel Toe

Leggings + Camel toe = win :D

9. Rita

Good information for boomer women. I know from my blogs that boomer women are concerned about dressing appropriately for their age.

Rita

• Tina

Rita,
      You are absolutely right. We do our best with what we can find - the stuff that fits us and fits our budgets. I wish I had learned to sew when my grandmother tried to teach me. I was too impatient!

10. Annie B

You shine lady !!!
    you made me laugh out loud, as well as being so informative,
    please keep writing,
    I'll definatly keep reading.
    Thank you and Kind Regards.
    Annie UK

11. Linda

Glad to find your site and info. The leggings subject drew me in as the subject has been up and alas not a apple shape, more like a pear. Mini skirts didn't do it back in the day - even though I tried - and my one pass at some jeggings recently sure didn't either. Would have to wear something to the knees - not.
    Ah well, thank goodness bootcut, straight leg and relaxed/flowy fit pants work!

Do enjoy your writing style and the fact that you're in the Seattle area - Redmond and 62 here. Will continue to check out more of your info as it's timely.

Thanks for the service you're providing! :-)

• Tina

Hi Linda,

You're a neighbor. Happy to hear from you.

Sorry you can't wear leggings, the right leggings are as comfy as PJs. But, I can't wear regular denim jeans because I can't breathe in them. Maybe if I had some bootcut jeans made for me...

So, I'm getting feedback from a few pear-shaped women. If you want to email me (I'll send my address to you) that would be great because I can only rehash what I've read online .... boring.... or I can get info from you cutie pears.

I can only GUESS what looks good on you pear shapes - from an artistic point of view.

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

12. lisa

love your site

13. Irvingia Gabonensis

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post!
    It's the little changes which will make the biggest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

14. Tina

Irvingia,

Wow, that's an interesting name. Is it Eastern European or a blend of your mom's and your dad's names or something like that?

Anyway, I'm glad you like my article. It means a lot to me when people read my articles... and if they like them (or hate them) enough to leave a comment, I dance on the table. Well, not really... too freaking old for that, but I do a little jig.

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

15. Lenora Young

I read your "what to wear in Prague and Budapest" with great interest since I'm visiting those countries in mid-October. Great advice and I must say, you look extremely stylish despite your husband's "camera dyslexia."

Thanks for publishing such a well-thought out website.

Yet another female boomer...

16. Bobbie Little

Your article on leggings was very good! I'm 66 and find it hard to know how to dress. Don't want to look like a 20 something year-old, but also don't want to to look like 60-something either. Designers ignore older women. Boomers are plentiful and have money. Seems like they would cater to us!

• Tina

Bobbie,

ALL of us over the age of 50 have a bit of a hard time knowing how to dress. We don't want to look like our grannies... ugh. We don't want to look like our 15-year-old children or grandchildren... silly.

I do think that some designers are trying to give us better options, but even these designers often have no clue. The rest of them find it "beneath their dignity" to design for anyone other than flat-chested, fair-faced, long-legged beauties born in 2000.

You WOULD think they would want to make money. I just don't get it. In aggregate, Boomer women (and older) have WAY more money to spend on fashion. We also NEED to buy better clothing because we're not teenagers anymore. Wouldn't it be possible for intelligent designers to make a name for themselves by creating cool catwalk "art" AND be able to create another line for women who want to buy flattering off-the-rack clothing. Some of them try, but most of them fail.

I am not a fashion writer. I am not a fashion designer. I am an artist. Artists can paint abstract, expressionistic art to satisfy their souls, but a good artist can also paint generic landscapes with mountains and flowers to satisfy their bank accounts. I consider REAL fashion designers to be artists. It's the same.

You fashion designers (and store buyers) - listen to Bobbie. She's spot on!

17. Alison Burns

Hi Tina,
    you are just up my street. At last a sensible, funny, practical guide to how to look decent at 60. I live a split life (in South Africa) of being a professional in the city and a farmer in a very hot place. Needless to say I do not have much time to shop and almost no money to spend. I love your stuff, will have to do some adapting for above conditions as well as being in the opposite season to you but with an array of beautiful daughters reminding me of my age, I am not quite ready to roll over and die to fashion.

18. Lori

Just discovered you!!!! Great day for me!!! loved the article...good info....keep it up (we need it!!)

19. ~Julia/bleu

Tina, ... I luv'd it! Wonderful writing! I too, am an artist, my fingers constantly 'itch' to be doing something! ~winks n' grinz~

I learned to sew when I was 9 yrs old and as i got into my teens and 20's - never cared for "trendy" fashion. So i Sew! I scan the internet looking for fashion-forward 50+ styles and they be slim pickins! When i DO find something, becuz of the remote hamelt i live in, it is never available to me so i must look elsewhere. It is nothing for me to second-hand shop for the fabric's alone and remake them into something worthy. I have been blessed with slender legs, hips. thighs and derriere so keeping myself balanced requires less heavy on top and more down below. Have never been one to want to let alone 'do' the "hoo-ha" come and get it routine so personally i find your advice common sense! Perhaps there are those who needs a dish of this every now and then. (Btw - love your hair! especially when you have paired it with the vibrant colors of your hats!)

This was a bright spark in my day and i 'pinned' it on my "growing older & wiser" board which will hopefully send some more traffic your way with your great advice and being a do'er of the eleventh commandment: "Thou SHALT HAVE a sense of Humour!"

20. Shirley

Hi Tina,

I'm 53, 5'3" tall, size 4/6. Found a great looking pair of just below the knee, low heel boots. I'd like to wear them with jeans tucked in, but not sure it's appropriate for my age. What do think about older women wearing this style of boot?

• Tina-Boomerina

Shirley,

I think it will look fabulous. I'm 61 (just turned 61 today) and I wear my jeans tucked in all the time. Everyone loves the look. Just do it. It's a fun look. You're about my height and a little thinner, so you'll look fab!

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

21. Cindog

Tina Boomerinas, just found you today and so glad I did! Love, love, love this article. As a shorter gal over 50 who loves an on trend look, I've shied away from leggings. Seen to many other 40-50 somethings doing it all wrong (you know, like the Walmart pictures). I had a good idea of the rules you laid out but the fear of the dreaded "short middle aged lady trying to look young label" kept me from it. Thanks for the confidence!

So funny too, actually caught my self giggling at work. :)

• Tina-Boomerina

Cindog,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sometimes I wonder if people get my jokes or if my references are too obscure. I'm sure that non-boomers don't get any of what I say.
      Best,

Tina

22. T

I've haven't seen the site yet to be able to comment; "Leave a Comment" popped up right after the site loaded.

• Tina-Boomerina

T,

My webgirl was changing some things on the site. I hope you can see the article now. If you ever saw the movie, 2001: A Space Odyssey, you'll know that computer problems are always caused by HUMAN ERROR" lol

Tina Boomerina

23. Samantha

What about us pears? Huge hips, big thighs and lower belly, small waist and boobs. I wear 3 sizes bigger in pants than I do in tops. What a drag to find suits (separates only) or skirts (A-line or full only) and then there's no jacket or sweater to match in both sizes I need. As a professor, I cannot wear denim - no "dress down " days on our campus for faculty ever. I can usually sneak into class wearing dark knit jeans from Cold Water Creek and a sweater/blazer and long blouse to cover the pockets and belt straps. Very hard to find slacks for pears. I notice you write for apples, but not pears. Don't forget your pear sisters, please.

24. Pat

One question! If this site is for women 50 and up how come most of the photos are young girls in their 20s?? I am looking for good looking clothes ideas for women my age (64) in pictures of women my own age. Could that be accomplished?? I love your advise and writings, but would seriously love to see photos of women my age.

• Tina-Boomerina

Pat,

I would love to post photos of women who are in their 50s or 60s... or even in their 30s. I'm 61, so I feel exactly the same way you do. And, every now and then I find good pics of "older" women wearing the clothing I want to write about... and, every now and then, I post pictures of myself. However, I mostly use free photos from a fashion PR website.

My husband doesn't like to take more than a few pictures at a time and it takes about 10 photos to get ONE halfway decent one of myself. Also, I can't run out and buy new clothes everytime I write an article.

In addition, I refuse to steal photos - to cut and paste - on my website without permission. It is a breech of copyright. (That's what most bloggers do.) I'm a former painter and I respect copyright laws. If you would like to read more about why I use younger models, I have a swimsuit article dedicated to just that subject: http://boomerinas.com/2013/10/21/why-use-young-swimsuit-models-for-baby-boomer-articles/

best,
      Tina Boomerina

• Pat

Thanks for your response and I really understand. Pretty sad that the PR sites can't even produce stuff for the 50-70 range either. Maybe we should start a campaign. Seriously!! Would you believe they cancelled Kathy Bates' last show Harry's Law because most of her viewers were "old"? I nearly had a stroke on that one!! We are considered a burden and the young and beautiful would prefer we were gone. To bad they don't realize it will happen to them all to soon too. I probably sound a tad bitter. I don't mean to. I am just sad that we are the first generation descendents from the greatest generation and we are considered at best a burden. I think we need to start a NOTICE US SENIORS campaign!! hahahaa I think there are more of us than the young beauties. :)

• Tina-Boomerina

Pat,

We are old beauties. Not only are those young chicks and dudes going to be old someday (if they are lucky), but I can't understand why television stations wouldn't want to cater to the generation that has all the money (collectively, boomers are the wealthiest generation). I'm with you on the Notice Us Seniors campaign. I'm going to email you about that.
          Tina Boomerina

• Pat

Yes, we are old beauties!! The young today don't think far enough ahead to realize they will be our age one day. They are living life now much as we did at their age. We had more respect for those older than us. The younger generation have no respect for themselves let alone the elders. TV stations are basically run by those younger ones who see us as a burden. It never dawns on them the money is with our generation. The dreaded 1% is in our generation for the most part. I do think we need to get our generation to open their eyes and remind them we are still vital and valuable.

25. Tina-Boomerina

Hi Pat,

I'm sorry I didn't post this comment earlier. I had a family emergency and had to fly to California for a few weeks. I totally agree with you.

Tina

26. Pat

Oh dear Tina. I hope things are ok now. We don't have long and we seriously need to get the seniors to realize they are in big trouble with this government we have and it has to be us to keep it from going downhill any further. Many think Obamacare is great for them. Once they get really sick they are going to find out that it wont be there for them.

27. Kathy Gabbard

Looking for fasjion for women over 50

28. Birthe

Love your article!
    Finally a serious (and still not too serious - I had a laugh or four;-) article for me (53), who hate when pants get too tight - and they eventually do ;-(, and still feel like me (read 25 years young chick) but realize when looking in the mirror that I'm quite mature and perhaps should find a more mature style? BUT i love leggings! Wore them in the 80s and so happy they're back! My belly likes it.
    Our generation can't look back - digging into our memories - at our moms and kind of get the picture of the right style for a woman in her 50s (don't know if someone ever could).
    So I'll definitely have a look at your other articles about the subject - and when I'm in doubt: ask my daughter - 20, beautiful - with incredible long legs.... ;-)

29. Karen

What kind (brand) of leggings do you like best???

Thanks,
    K

30. Judy

Thank you for a wonderful article. It was informative and reassuring. Keep it coming.

• Tina-Boomerina

Judy,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I wear leggings all the time... so much that I need to find new ones. Anyone have any fave brands?

Cheers,