Divorce Party Ideas for Boomer Women
by Christina Gregoire
If you're a Baby Boomer Chick going through a divorce, you're going to need all the love and support you can get. So, throw a divorce party for yourself or for a friend? Women love celebrations, so get out your dancing shoes or your pajamas.
Why should you throw a divorce party? Some people think it is like celebrating a death, but you are still here on earth and you should do something to announce your change in marital status.
Why Have a Divorce Party?
- If you are sad, you need to cheer yourself up so you can carry on for your kids and other people who depend on you.
- If you are happy to have your freedom, you should celebrate.
- If you are confused about your new role in life, or you feel like you are in a fog, you should be around your friends.
Divorce Celebration Party
If you are happy about being single, your divorce party can be like a bachelorette party. Even if you are sad, you can get together with some girlfriends (and maybe some guys,) if that is what you want. There are few rules about divorce parties.
People You Should Invite
- divorced friends
- any married woman friend who is still your friend (That might be a list of zero.)
People You Should Not Invite
- your ex (unless he's announced he's gay and you love shopping together)
- your boss
- anyone from work
- anyone from your family
- your kids. Even adult kids are ambivalent about divorce when it comes to their own parents.
- your neighbors. If you say or do something truly stupid, it would be such a hassle to move.
Where to Have Your Divorce Party
Where should you have your party? I think that the perfect party would involve hiring a limo, filling the limo with pals, and cruising the local clubs. One girlfriend should be your (sober) designated handler, just in case you drink too much. Though, if your daddy's rich and your mama’s good looking, you and your pals might want to fly to Vegas. However, most divorced women cannot afford that level of merriment.
Other Places to Have Your Divorce Party
- Ask a girlfriend if she wants to host your party at her place. (Technically tacky, but forgivable.)
- Book a small private room in a cheap Italian restaurant, with cute Italian waiters, and act silly while playing with your pasta and gurgling red wine.
- Finish with an anti-wedding cake.
- Have your party in a wine-tasting venue.
- Invite your girlfriends to your house for pizza and have wedding cake with black frosting for dessert.
Divorce Party Cakes
Here are some other cool ideas for a divorce cake.
- Just Divorced
- Dead Groom Cake
- Divorce Celebration Cake
- Single Girl Cake Topper
- New Boyfriend Topper
- Wonder Woman Divorce Cake
Divorce Party Invitations
Part of the fun is planning the whole event with a friend or two. So, if you are hosting your own party, try to get someone to help you pick out your invitations and other goodies. You can buy great-premade invitations online. Two good places to look are Zazzle.com or divorce party stores. Alternatively, you can look around for a photo or cartoon and print the invitations yourself.
- * Find a silly photo for your card and give it a meaningful caption.
- * Girls Night Out
- * Cat and Dog: Did you fight like cats and dogs?
- * Divorce Cartoon
Divorce Party Favors
Some of the online party favors are a bit predictable for my taste, though websites seem to be adding new products all the time. Here are other ideas:
- * Every girl gets a pink feather boa.
- * Take the girls to a Sephora or Mac Cosmetics Store and get them false eyelashes before heading out. Sephora will apply them. Eyelashes are about $8-$15.
- * Ed Hardy Temporary Tattoos: Try "Love Kills Slowly" or "Black Rose."
- * Chocolate butterflies.
- * Decorate suckers by writing “Goodbye Sucker” with icing from a tube.
Divorce Party Plan B
If all of these ideas sound like too much work, invite your girlfriends over for a slumber party (pajama party) and watch divorce movies all night. Activities for a slumber party:
- Decorate Divorce Voodoo Doll: You can find these online and you will need markers and pins.
- Fill a donkey piñata with candy, and then glue a photo of your ex's face on the front...or the back. Make sure that heavy drinkers are far away from blindfolded women with baseball bats.
- Play “Pin the Tail on the Ex.” You can buy a cute version online.
- Decorate your place with Just Divorced balloons.
Not everyone needs a divorce party, but you might be one of those girls who would love to do something official to proclaim your divorce. It’s better for a friend to put the party together, but if no one steps forward, you should throw your own.
What do you think of this article? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page.