Lost Password?

A password will be emailed to you. You will be able to change your password and other profile details once you have logged in.

Wedding Dresses for Older Brides: Women Over 40 or 50

wedding dress tina boomerina

by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)

Want to know what you can wear for your second wedding? Hey, what are the rules for wedding gowns when the bride is over 40, 50 or 60?

Well, there used to be lots of “rules”.  Today, we call those rules “guidelines”.  In other words, there are no rules, so you are free to imagine your wedding as whatever you want it to be.  However, there is one rule about the blusher veil that I think you should follow.  What do I know?  I’m on my third marriage.  That’s what I know.

My last wedding was a few years ago when I was 52.  So, read about my common sense guidelines for all women over 40, 50, or even (gasp) over 60.

white wedding hats for brides - photo boomerinas.comAre You an Older Bride?

I’m sorry that I called you an "older bride" in the title.  I had to do that so Google would lead you to my article.  Hey, I’m teetering towards 60, and the word, “old,” has been expunged from my vocabulary (along with silver, golden, mature, and elderly), unless the word is absolutely necessary.  And, whenever I hear the term “old lady”, I think of my hippie days.  Back then, any man who uttered the sentence, “Sally’s my old lady,” meant that Sally was the speaker’s girlfriend, even when his “old lady” was only 18.  So, I must confess that I refer to myself as an old lady from time to time, but I say it with a wink and a smile.

Bridal Gowns for Second Weddings - It's Your Party
If you are over 40, you are not a baby anymore.  However, you are not a dried-up old (mature) hag, like some wedding sites imply.

wedding hats for older brides - photo boomerinas.comIf you have never been married, you can wear the traditional white get-up, along with a blusher veil (a net has bigger holes and looks like the photo of the cool red hat); however, if your three children will be your attendants, I don’t think you’ll fool anyone into thinking you are a virgin by wearing that veil.  So, although a blusher veil is technically correct, I don’t think it looks right on a woman over 40.  Netting on a hat or a fascinator is not the same as a blusher veil, and netting is elegant on any woman of any age.

Your Second Wedding?

If this is your second wedding (or your third or seventh wedding), you can wear a white dress and a shorter veil (not cathedral length) as long as the veil doesn’t cover your face.  However, whether it’s your first or fifth wedding (Mazel Tov), you should feel free to wear an elegant blue evening gown, a black Gothic wedding dress, or a pair of pink pajamas, as long as you don’t wear that dreaded blusher veil.

Hey, no matter what marriage you’re on, you can wear any color you want.  You are over 40 years old.  You’re a big girl and you’re probably paying for your own wedding, so you don’t have to please mommy and daddy as much as a 20-something bride.  So, if you like blue, wear blue (or white or green or lavender or drop-dead red).

Wedding Dresses for Older Brides – Give Me a Breakcolored wedding dresses

I have read and reread several websites that talk about “mature bridal style”, which is funny because, when I was remarried at 52, I felt like my usual young and imperfect Baby Boomer self. The photo of the older blonde is a picture of me, so my advice is, as always, honest and based upon experience.  My fiancé really wanted me to wear a white dress and veil, so I wore a 2-piece cream-colored gown with a little veil. I was hesitant, but it turned out to be an absolute gas.

Wedding Dresses for Women Over 40

Okay.  Most of you don’t have the same body you had when you were 20, so there are two areas of your wedding dress that I would like you to consider:

• brides over 50 or 601. The neckline of your dress
  • 2. The fabric used in your dress

The style you will choose for your dress, such as A-line, ballgown, mini, or sheath, is somewhat predetermined by your body type, but the wrong neckline or fabric can undermine everything.  The neckline will frame your face, it will make you appear to be fatter or thinner, and it will be what people notice in your photos.

And, the fabric of some dresses can be too sheer or too shiny or too whatever... and can show every bulge. (article continues)

Keep reading about wedding dresses for older women on page two.

Google+

Tina Boomerina (AKA Christina Gregoire) is a Baby Boomer born at the end of 1952. Her mission is to make the internet a kinder and gentler place for Baby Boomer women around the world. Tina's specialty is fashion for women over 50.

Follow Me on PinterestFollow My Boomer Lifestyle Blog on facebook

Related Posts

24 Comments

1. Michelle

Hi Christina,
    found your site, and wanted to share my story. This summer, the love of my life, (aka my old man) and I will celebrate 25 years together - quite an accomplishment. I decided long ago, (actually before I even married him) that if I reached 25 years (I was 21 years old at the time - who at that age can even image life 25 years later), I would have a big party, and maybe even wear my wedding dress again. Well - we are 7 weeks away - my wedding gown has been redesigned, I'm having a fabulous party to celebrate 25 years of marriage with 60 of those I love most in life - especially my husband. Then we are off for a high altitude 4 day hike in Machu Picchu Peru, as a second honeymoon.. I look fabulous, and our life is great. This truly is our...happily ever after story.

2. Christina Gregoire

Michelle,

That is a fabulous story. Thanks for sharing it. And, one of the amazing things is that you got married at 21, which is considered quite young these days...and it all worked out. Well, I have a feeling that this wedding celebration will be even more fun than the first (if that's possible). It's so cool.

And, I hope you get a chance to celebrate again when you've made it to 50 years...oh heck...why wait? Maybe you should celebrate your anniversary in ten years or...pick a number. You HAVE to hang the older photo, from 25 years ago, next to your new photo, in your updated dress.

And, then you're off to Machu Picchu...does it get any better than this?

3. Kathleen

Whew, finally an article for ME! Rapidly approaching 58 and looking forward to marrying the love of my life, "the Old Man", oh whatever. And this will be my fifth wedding! The double whammy.
    I needed the boost of confidence I got after reading your article. Heartfelt and sisterly thanks to you, Christina!
    I'd been losing sleep over what to wear, what's appropriate, what's not....
    I want a small gathering of friends, flowers, candlelight (and fireflies if I could count on them to behave) and above all some semblance of decorum.
    I have decided now to go with my original choice of a tea length coral dress which I may just sew myself, as I haven't found a thing that suits me. This will be a fall wedding in Florida OUTDOORS. Any other ideas?
    thanks again for the article.....very thoughtful!
    Kathleen

• Tina

Kathleen,

I replied to you ages ago and I lost the reply while doing website maintenance. If you ever come back to this page, let us know what happened with your wedding.

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

4. Christina Gregoire

ps I put a link to the old music article. There used to be youtube links (to the songs) on the article. I'll redo it here with links. I don't know how rock n roll you are, but a lot of the songs are softer.

5. Tonik

Oh you look fabulous in that photograph - and so happy. Wonderful article Thankyou.

6. Mary

I really enjoyed your article, especially the part about checking for slip needs!
    You looked great in the picture.

• Tina

Mary,
      Yes, I think people could see through my second wedding dress. It was an off-white cocktail dress with purple details... from Neiman's I think... so long ago. It was gorgeous but it was not made to be worn when standing against a picture window in full sun.

That was the wedding when I should have been wearing the blusher veil.

Haha. Learn from my zany life, kids.

Tina Boomerina

7. Wedding Dresses for Older Brides: Women Over 40 | Boomerinas.com | LifeShopping Blog

[...] is the original: Wedding Dresses for Older Brides: Women Over 40 | Boomerinas.com This entry was posted in Bridal dresses, Prom dresses, wedding dresses, Zentai suits and tagged [...]

8. Dawn A. Irving

Hi Tina,
    I'm searching for the sleeveless wedding dress with the crooked front bow, posted on Pinterest. It says "debenhams prshot" underneath. I'm new to this and can't find it anywhere.
    Please help!
    Kind regards,
    Dawn

9. Dawn A. Irving

Hi Tina,
    Can you provide me with an e-mail address? II'd like to send you a picture of the dress that you posted on Pinterest, I think in 2011.I'm not well versed at this, and have my heart set on this dress for my son's wedding next year.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dawn

10. Lesley Strudwick

Hi ya I have seen a beautifull hippie dress on your web site
    I am due to get married in may. It's the long sleeve lace dress with the delicate bottom.
    Please please can you help me with this matter.
    Kind regards Lesley Strudwick

11. Elizabeth Cocke

I was looking at your post on weddings after 40 and fell in love with the vintage dress with jacket and the fabulous hat. do you know who the designer is?

12. Jennifer

Please e mail me. Looking for dress posted through your site on Pinterest, white dress with blue flowers. Hope you can assist. Thank you,

13. Zandele

What a beautiful dress. The white one with the sleeves and the cascading ruffle down the front and V-neck. It just say second wedding. One of the picture has this under it: Simply Be Wedding Dress prshots.com
    Where did this com from? I would like to purchase this dress. What site do I go to? Thanks for any help you can give. I went to the link for over forty and did not find this dress.
    Zandele

• Tina-Boomerina

Zandele,

That's a beautiful name. I don't know which dress you are referring to. I don't see a dress from Simply Be on this article. I will look on Pinterest and try to find it, but some of my articles have photos from last year. I'll email you with the link to Simply Be and I hope the dress will still be there.

Tina