Sexy Plus Size Cruise Wear: Cocktail & Formal Dresses
by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)
Yes, you can be chubby and sexy. Find great plus size cruise wear, like formal dresses and cocktail dresses. Make sure to show off your goods to best effect.
I love cruising. It’s the easiest way to see different cities without doing any work. Well, here are some sexy plus-size cruise wear outfits for formal nights. Hey, you might want to look sexy on your cruise because:
- It’s your honeymoon.
- It’s your anniversary.
- You are just sick and tired of wearing long underwear and down jackets all through the horrid winter.
First of all, you should check to see if your cruise ship has true formal nights because some lines don’t. Go to cruisecritic.com and look for answers on their fabulous forums. If you want to get dressed up because you have a fabulous dress, just do it. I swear that no one will kick you out if you’re the only girl dressed to the nines. Actually, you might get better service, so don’t fret if you want to wear a formal gown and you’re not sure about it.
Most women seem to wear black on formal night, but black is not a requirement. You can wear a long gown, a tea-length dressy frock, a nice suit, or a two-piece pant ensemble. And, I believe that a floral dress is fine for formal nights on most tropical cruises as long as you look suitably festive and your dress is not too casual.
Sexy Black Evening Gowns: Plus Size
I think that East Coast women (on Caribbean cruises) get more dressed up than women on any other cruise I’ve sailed. And, that includes two upscale cruises to the Mediterranean and the Baltic. A lot of the formality has to do with your cruise line and your particular ship.
Great Gowns for Plus Sizes
- JS Collections Beaded Sleeveless Gown at Nordstrom's. I think this is just stunning. It has a mini-dress feel, but it's not a mini.
- Igigi Rebecca Gown in Black. I think this dress will look stunning on any woman, especially pear shapes and hourglass shapes.
- Alex Evenings Long Gown with Jacket in black with beading.
Sexy Plus Size Cruise Wear Dresses
Almost every woman will be in black. If you don't want to blend in with the crowd, just wear a different color.
- Adrianna Papell Long Jersey Gown in peacock blue. This is perfect for any woman who wants to show off her curves without showing everything.
Can you wear short dresses and skirts for formal nights at sea? Of course you can.
If you want to buy a dress that is practical and can be worn many times, then you are like me. Here are some dresses that can be tarted up for formal night or worn out to dinner at home. Heck, many upscale dresses can be worn out to lunch with a girlfriend at a local mall.
- Red Empire Shoulder Dress with Full Lining at Romans.
- Ralph Lauren Long Sleeve V-Neck Jersey Dress - If this fits, you will look hip and you will stand out in the sea of black.
Pant Suits for Formal Cruise Wear
If you are more comfortable in a pant suit, there are many styles that will look perfect on formal night. I wear dresses (usually in jersey) because I look better in dresses, and stretchy dresses are more likely to fit my apple shape. However, many women wear pants on formal nights:
- Patchingon Sexy Black Shimmer Drop Shoulder Tunic and Pants. I've never bought anything from Patchington, but I can tell that they have the type of clothing I like. I'm overdue for new clothes and I'm going to give their site a try for travel wear.
If you want to take an informal dress or suit to the max, you can use props to spiff up almost anything. Here are some ideas:
- Wear a headpiece or hat with your suit (or dress) to outshine everyone in the entire dining room.
- Look trendy enough for Italy with a great fabric corsage.
- Wear a lowcut top with your suit and knock your sweetie’s socks off when you remove your demure jacket.
- Add a statement necklace or a Victorian neck ruff. (Google "Gothic neck ruff" or look on etsy's.)
I have found that some cruises are very casual, even when their brochures include formal nights.
(My husband has snuck into dining rooms while wearing jeans...though, I hope your husband is trained better than mine.) So, it's good to pack a mix of formal and informal clothes, along with a truckload of accessories. That way, you will always have the right thing to wear.
Read More Articles for Hip, Sexy Baby Boomer Women:
Photo credits: Prshots.com.
- Sexy Red Cruise Dress: Vera Mont.
- Sexy Plus Size Cruisewear: Vera mont.
- Mouseover the rest with your cursor.
What do you wear on formal nights? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page. It will take a while to show up because I get a lot of junk and I have to sort through the comments. But, it will show up eventually.