Lost Password?

A password will be emailed to you. You will be able to change your password and other profile details once you have logged in.

Best Swimsuits for Women Over 40, 50, 60

best swimsuits for women over 50 60 m&co - boomerinas.com -

by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)

I know how difficult it is for you to find the right swimsuit.  I'm a 60-year-old Baby Boomer.  However, once upon a time, I looked better in a bathing suit than in street clothes, so I know how hard it is for you women over 40 or 50 to find the right suit.

bathing suits for women over 40 50 60 70When I was in high school, I laughed (inwardly) at girls who hated bathing suit season.  Summer was my favorite time of the year, because I could lie on the beach and tan my jet-set-worthy bod.  I'm sure I looked anorexic, but I was just naturally thin.  I was naturally toned.  My body rocked.  But, rock no more.  What goes around, comes around, and I'm a-round.

Bathing Suits for Boomer Chicks

What cuts and styles make the best swimsuits for women over 40, 50, or 60?  Well, this is one of the scariest questions that a Boomer Chick can ask. But, life goes on, and on and on, and what the heck? There are so many fabulous places to go, in this world, and those fabulous places require bathing suits.

swimwear for older womenFlattering Swimsuits for Women Over 40 or 50

Can you avoid Kaanapali Beach or Seven Mile Beach forever?  Hell, no.  And, I know you are tempted by those sparkling turquoise swimming pools on those cruise ships because it's natural to want to feel the sun on your vitamin-D-deprived body.

Oh fiddle-dee-dee! Forget about perfection.  Keep telling yourself that only God is perfect. Most women over 40 have had babies, raised families, and worked hard for the money.  Now, in 2014, it's time to get down to the business of having fun again...because no one lives forever and life should be savored.

Bathing Suits for Your Body Type

No matter how skinny you were in the 60s or 70s, you need to put more thought into what you wear to the beach in 2014.  Fortunately, we all have the internet to help us through this ordeal.

Now, instead of facing those young, skinny, beautiful salesgirls at Nordstrom’s or Neiman’s, you and I can try on swimsuits in the dead of night, with most of the lights turned off, in the privacy of our own homes. So, check out these (and other) specialty swimwear sites.

best bathing suits for old ladiesSwimsuitsForAll .com

Click on one of their "Fit Solutions" guides, to filter out the wrong swimsuits and find the right swimsuits for your body type. This site used to have a way to enter your measurements to find the right suit, but I guess we all found that too traumatic to use. I don't see it anymore.

Now, you can click your favorite swimsuit problem du jour to get instant help:

• Hide Hips / Minimize Your Bottom Half
  • Long Torso
  • Enhance Bust / Support Your Bust
  • Tone Tummy / Trim Tummy

Yes, thank God (or Goddess) for the internet. Do you remember the days when we actually had to go into the dressing room at Nordstrom's or Macy's or wherever... and actually try on swimsuits and other tight-fitting garments in front of other people.

Now, we can try on swimsuits at home... when no one is around to snicker at us. (article continues)

Keep reading about Swimsuits for Older Women on page two.

Share on Google+7Pin on Pinterest311Email this to someoneShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0

Tina Boomerina (AKA Christina Gregoire) is a Baby Boomer born at the end of 1952. Her mission is to make the internet a kinder and gentler place for Baby Boomer women around the world. Tina's specialty is fashion for women over 50.

Follow Me on Pinterest Follow My Boomer Lifestyle Blog on facebook

Related Posts

33 Comments

1. Ericka

I have to tell you, I have not even worn a bathing suit in years! On trips and cruises I would put my feet in the water and hang out at the lounge. But, after your article, no more sidelines! You're right - all the adversities we face and I'm petrified of someone seeing my not so "rockin' bod". Thank-you for getting me out of the latex closet. Sometimes you need a hand and others times you need a cattle prod. Thanks.

• Tina

Ericka,

I'm so happy that you've decided to get back into it. Hey, we ain't babies anymore. We shouldn't compare ourselves to the over-plasticized celebrities of the world.

Hugs,

Tina Boomerina

2. Jeanne

Love your article. So important that women of every age embrace the power of their bodies at every age and get out and enjoy the water. The rejuvenating powers of immersing oneself in the ocean on a hot day are powerful beyond belief.

3. Tina

Jeanne,

Right on, Baby!

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

4. jennifer

where do if find the blue one piece with criss cross ruching?

5. Jan

I want to know where to get the blue polka dot
    Swimsuit in the picture on Pintrest. Also love the
    Articles for buying suits when over 40

Jan,

Glad you like my sense of humor. I'm not sure which polka dot swimsuit you are talking about. Is it on the second page of this article? http://boomerinas.com/2012/04/01/chic-polka-dot-clothing-for-women-the-new-black-and-white/ or is it a different one?

The article in the link is from about 2 years ago, and the pic is from Littlewoods in the UK, but if it's a different swimsuit, I MIGHT be able to help... depending on the article and when it was written.

• Tina-Boomerina

Jan... maybe you are talking about the swimsuit at the top of this page? Some of the captions got messed up when my webgirl updated my site. (As Rosannadana said, "It's always something.") Thank you WordPress!

I'm 99% sure that swimsuit is from M&Co in the UK... but this article was written last year. I'll check and see if I can find it.
        Cheers,

Tina

• Tina-Boomerina

Crap, I only see a black and white polkadot swimsuit. Let me look around.

• Tina-Boomerina

OK, Jan, I'm losing it for sure. I can't remember if there was another polka dot swimsuit on Pinterest (from my website) and I can't remember if I just emailed you or not.

And... now, I KNOW I have to write a new swimsuit article because people are asking about swimsuits.

So, that means I'm facing my third worst nightmare... writing an article about swimsuits. (The first worst nightmare is a phone call saying that someone - like one of my kids - is in the hospital - and that just happened about 2 weeks ago. The second worst nightmare is actually trying on swimsuits on my own body.)

Thanks a lot, Jan. It's all your fault. Now, I have to think of things - awful things - to say about swimsuits. (I'm kidding, of course. It's not your fault, Jan. You're a sweetie.) It's my body's fault. It's my fault for caring that my body is what it is.

Anyway, I'll email you again and try to find out about the swimsuit.

• Tina-Boomerina

Actually, it looks like they still have the turquoise polka dot swimsuit at Littlewoods, but I just found out that Littlewoods doesn't ship to the US. Well, I've read conflicting reports online and the Littlewoods site is having a glitchy temper tantrum, so I can't confirm it.

6. Pam

You missed the boat. Fitness suits like those from Tyr or Speedo, are the most flattering and comfortable. You can move in them., swim laps, go snorkeling or anything else you like. You buy them tight so they're a good, sleek fit. I've been wearing the same type of suit since I was a teen age lifeguard and they still look great now that I'm 67. Give it a try!

Pam,

Thanks for your ideas. I just never looked good in sport swimsuits. I have a feeling you are in better shape than I am, but I'll give them a try. I don't think they ever looked that great on me. Other women will probably feel differently.

Tina

7. Gayla Schmid

There is a poke dote top with white bow and skirted bottom swimsuit I saw on your web site but to not give where to purchase it. I really like the look of the suite and need web address to purchase it.
    Gayla

• Tina-Boomerina

Gayla, I'm sorry but that article is from last year. I can't find the suit.

Wish I could help. Maybe we could all get together and petition the site. If any women want to do that, let me know. I'll start it. I know that a LOT of women love that swimsuit.

Tina Boomerina

8. stewart

hello i am deaf i like your swimsuit all feel cofom it so wear it so use in the water so that and use in the pool and in the bath with it make me sexy relly love swimsuit very good to wear ok

stewie

9. Barbara

I wish the models were in their 40's, 50's and 60's.

10. Suse

I checked both of the websites for swimsuits that you recommended. I was dismayed that neither of them had any results for a mastectomy suit search. So many of us have had breast cancer with resultant mastectomies that it is really a shame to be ignored. I emailed both of them and am hoping they will remedy that. I am so glad you have a site for those of us aging gracefully (or not!). I'm 68 and here I am looking up swimsuits :)

Suse,

I am dismayed as well and I will email those companies as well. I've had a lot of fun surgeries, but so far I've avoided breast cancer, so I've never done an article (or any research) on mastectomy suits because it's not my area of expertise. I could write about the fun of having a full hysterectomy for pre-ovarian cancer at age 45, and the fun of having bone grafts and hardware inserted into my neck, but I don't know much about mastectomies.

If you want to email me later and tell me where you end up finding a good swimsuit, I would love to know.

And, Suse, I am so happy to hear that you had breast cancer and you're still around. My current husband's first wife died of breast cancer. A big YAY for you.

My last husband's mother (I don't want to say former mother-in-law because she's still alive) had breast cancer about 10 years ago and it never came back and she's about 90 now... so a big Yay for her, too.

I'm also glad to hear that you're looking for a swimsuit. Another big Yay. Some of us freak out whenever we hear the word. I wish I could direct you to a good swimsuit site, but if you email me later, I may be able to help another woman someday.

hugs,
      Tina

11. Lucinda Wray

Your bikini collection are stunning. I am totally agree with you.It is difficult to find find plus size dresses for old ages. I love your lovely blog.

Lucinda,

Happy to hear that. I used to wear two-piece swimsuits in my 50s... but I can't wear them anymore. Bummer. I WOULD wear them if I didn't have a freaking scar going down my abdomen from a stupid surgery that I probably didn't need and didn't seem to help.

Oh well, they have cutie-patootie one-piece swimsuits these days, so it's not that bad. And... I'm usually in a hot tub in the dark when I'm in a swimsuit. I don't want to scare the sharks away.

Okay.... sometimes I DO go in the ocean. SOMEONE has to scare the sharks away.

Tina

12. Lori

I love your blog. I am also tired of hearing that older women need to cut their hair short. I am almost 53 with very curly shoulder length white hair and plan on letting it grow so I can braid it. Lol. I wear a halter tankini and thoroughly enjoy going to the beach. My mother is 87 and still wears designer jeans and tshirts. I am going to send the link to your blog to my sisters and girlfriends so they can get a chuckle as well. All the best. Keep writing.

Lori,

Thank you so much. I'm so glad to hear about your beautiful, long white hair. And... I'm glad you are taking your style into your own hands.

You know yourself better than anyone on the internet or in a magazine or on TV, so don't listen to what the "style experts" say unless it sounds right to YOU. They don't know you. They've never seen you.

Those people are just telling you what looks good on THEM or on their MOTHERS or on their NEIGHBORS. Even worse, they may be copying bad advice that they've read in some other article.

You sound beautiful. You know what looks good on you. I'm sure you look hot in your tankini and I want a picture of your long braids if you ever feel like posting it somewhere or sending it. And, you have a mom who's a GREAT role model.

And, thanks so much for telling your friends and family about my site. It's just me here doing this website... sitting in my den (or at Starbucks)... writing my opinion and offering advice and repeating ideas I've picked up over the years. I really appreciate the help.

Well, it's not just me doing Boomerinas. I have a few other writers who pop in from time to time. I have a husband who helps with the number crap... the things I hate. But, I appreciate the free advertising that comes from word of mouth. You're a doll.

Tina

ps You're only 53 years old. I'm not sure I would consider you "older". You're still a kid. Well, I might consider you an "older" woman if you started dating college boys... haha. I might consider your mom an "older" woman. Also, look at photos of Carmen Dell'Orefice and other older models. I can't find it right now, but there's a photo of Ms Dell'Orefice somewhere on Pinterest with long, flowing silvery hair and she's stunning.

13. Lori

Love your blog! I wear tankini suits and prefer halters. I read somewhere that women are trying to look like the 8 supermodels in the world instead of the millions of just average women in the world. I have very curly shoulder length white hair and carry a few extra pounds...rubanesque is my style lol.

About your scar...a friend of mine had a scar there too and had it tattooed to cover it up. She loves it.

Lori

Lori,

I know that you wrote 2 comments because the other one never showed up... but I'm posting this one too because I like the idea about covering the scar with a tat. I'm not sure I would bare my tummy at this point in my life (because it's not my fave part of my body) but I have no problem with showing a bit of cleavage... anything that keeps people from noticing sagging and wrinkles is fair game in my opinion. haha.

Tina

14. Tina-Boomerina

What I meant was... the other one never showed up because it has to be approved by me and I'm out of town.

I'm considering the tattoo idea. It's very creative. I'm not sure I want my daughters to get tattoos but I like them on other women. What kind of tattoo would look good? What did your friend get? (anyone can jump in and give ideas).

t

15. MC

Hi, I know the the Ceeb Swimwear co makes mastectomy suits. I have one of their regular swimsuits and it is very well made. They have a web site too.

• Tina-Boomerina

Thank you, MC, that will be really helpful. Mastectomies are so common these days. I don't know why, but it is much better to have one than to let the cancer spread. thanks
      Tina