Lost Password?

A password will be emailed to you. You will be able to change your password and other profile details once you have logged in.

Best Swimsuits for Women Over 40, 50, 60

best swimsuits for women over 50 60 m&co - boomerinas.com -

by Tina Boomerina (Christina Gregoire)

I know how difficult it is for you to find the right swimsuit.  I'm a 60-year-old Baby Boomer.  However, once upon a time, I looked better in a bathing suit than in street clothes, so I know how hard it is for you women over 40 or 50 to find the right suit.

bathing suits for women over 40 50 60 70When I was in high school, I laughed (inwardly) at girls who hated bathing suit season.  Summer was my favorite time of the year, because I could lie on the beach and tan my jet-set-worthy bod.  I'm sure I looked anorexic, but I was just naturally thin.  I was naturally toned.  My body rocked.  But, rock no more.  What goes around, comes around, and I'm a-round.

Bathing Suits for Boomer Chicks

What cuts and styles make the best swimsuits for women over 40, 50, or 60?  Well, this is one of the scariest questions that a Boomer Chick can ask. But, life goes on, and on and on, and what the heck? There are so many fabulous places to go, in this world, and those fabulous places require bathing suits.

swimwear for older womenFlattering Swimsuits for Women Over 40 or 50

Can you avoid Kaanapali Beach or Seven Mile Beach forever?  Hell, no.  And, I know you are tempted by those sparkling turquoise swimming pools on those cruise ships because it's natural to want to feel the sun on your vitamin-D-deprived body.

Oh fiddle-dee-dee! Forget about perfection.  Keep telling yourself that only God is perfect. Most women over 40 have had babies, raised families, and worked hard for the money.  Now, in 2014, it's time to get down to the business of having fun again...because no one lives forever and life should be savored.

Bathing Suits for Your Body Type

No matter how skinny you were in the 60s or 70s, you need to put more thought into what you wear to the beach in 2014.  Fortunately, we all have the internet to help us through this ordeal.

Now, instead of facing those young, skinny, beautiful salesgirls at Nordstrom’s or Neiman’s, you and I can try on swimsuits in the dead of night, with most of the lights turned off, in the privacy of our own homes. So, check out these (and other) specialty swimwear sites.

best bathing suits for old ladiesSwimsuitsForAll.com

Click on their "Fit and Flatter Guide" in the upper left-hand spot, just under "SwimsuitsForAll.com", to enter your measurements into their "Interactive Guide".  If that's too traumatic for you (it is for me), you can click on Fit Solutions on the left side of the page to choose from this list:

• Enhance Small Bust
  • Long Torso
  • Support or Minimize Large Bust
  • Minimize Rear or Thighs
  • Hide Your Hips
  • Slim Your Tummy

Yes, thank God (or Goddess) for the internet. Do you remember the days when we actually had to go into the dressing room at Nordstrom's or Macy's or wherever... and actually try on swimsuits and other tight-fitting garments in front of other people.

Now, we can try on swimsuits at home... when no one is around to snicker at us. (article continues)

Keep reading about Swimsuits for Older Women on page two.

Google+

Tina Boomerina (AKA Christina Gregoire) is a Baby Boomer born at the end of 1952. Her mission is to make the internet a kinder and gentler place for Baby Boomer women around the world. Tina's specialty is fashion for women over 50.

Follow Me on PinterestFollow My Boomer Lifestyle Blog on facebook

Related Posts

17 Comments

1. Ericka

I have to tell you, I have not even worn a bathing suit in years! On trips and cruises I would put my feet in the water and hang out at the lounge. But, after your article, no more sidelines! You're right - all the adversities we face and I'm petrified of someone seeing my not so "rockin' bod". Thank-you for getting me out of the latex closet. Sometimes you need a hand and others times you need a cattle prod. Thanks.

• Tina

Ericka,

I'm so happy that you've decided to get back into it. Hey, we ain't babies anymore. We shouldn't compare ourselves to the over-plasticized celebrities of the world.

Hugs,

Tina Boomerina

2. Jeanne

Love your article. So important that women of every age embrace the power of their bodies at every age and get out and enjoy the water. The rejuvenating powers of immersing oneself in the ocean on a hot day are powerful beyond belief.

3. Tina

Jeanne,

Right on, Baby!

Cheers,

Tina Boomerina

4. jennifer

where do if find the blue one piece with criss cross ruching?

5. Jan

I want to know where to get the blue polka dot
    Swimsuit in the picture on Pintrest. Also love the
    Articles for buying suits when over 40

• Tina-Boomerina

Jan,

Glad you like my sense of humor. I'm not sure which polka dot swimsuit you are talking about. Is it on the second page of this article? http://boomerinas.com/2012/04/01/chic-polka-dot-clothing-for-women-the-new-black-and-white/ or is it a different one?

The article in the link is from about 2 years ago, and the pic is from Littlewoods in the UK, but if it's a different swimsuit, I MIGHT be able to help... depending on the article and when it was written.

• Tina-Boomerina

Jan... maybe you are talking about the swimsuit at the top of this page? Some of the captions got messed up when my webgirl updated my site. (As Rosannadana said, "It's always something.") Thank you WordPress!

I'm 99% sure that swimsuit is from M&Co in the UK... but this article was written last year. I'll check and see if I can find it.
        Cheers,

Tina

• Tina-Boomerina

Crap, I only see a black and white polkadot swimsuit. Let me look around.

• Tina-Boomerina

OK, Jan, I'm losing it for sure. I can't remember if there was another polka dot swimsuit on Pinterest (from my website) and I can't remember if I just emailed you or not.

And... now, I KNOW I have to write a new swimsuit article because people are asking about swimsuits.

So, that means I'm facing my third worst nightmare... writing an article about swimsuits. (The first worst nightmare is a phone call saying that someone - like one of my kids - is in the hospital - and that just happened about 2 weeks ago. The second worst nightmare is actually trying on swimsuits on my own body.)

Thanks a lot, Jan. It's all your fault. Now, I have to think of things - awful things - to say about swimsuits. (I'm kidding, of course. It's not your fault, Jan. You're a sweetie.) It's my body's fault. It's my fault for caring that my body is what it is.

Anyway, I'll email you again and try to find out about the swimsuit.

• Tina-Boomerina

Actually, it looks like they still have the turquoise polka dot swimsuit at Littlewoods, but I just found out that Littlewoods doesn't ship to the US. Well, I've read conflicting reports online and the Littlewoods site is having a glitchy temper tantrum, so I can't confirm it.

6. Pam

You missed the boat. Fitness suits like those from Tyr or Speedo, are the most flattering and comfortable. You can move in them., swim laps, go snorkeling or anything else you like. You buy them tight so they're a good, sleek fit. I've been wearing the same type of suit since I was a teen age lifeguard and they still look great now that I'm 67. Give it a try!

• Tina-Boomerina

Pam,

Thanks for your ideas. I just never looked good in sport swimsuits. I have a feeling you are in better shape than I am, but I'll give them a try. I don't think they ever looked that great on me. Other women will probably feel differently.

Tina

7. Gayla Schmid

There is a poke dote top with white bow and skirted bottom swimsuit I saw on your web site but to not give where to purchase it. I really like the look of the suite and need web address to purchase it.
    Gayla

• Tina-Boomerina

Gayla, I'm sorry but that article is from last year. I can't find the suit.

Wish I could help. Maybe we could all get together and petition the site. If any women want to do that, let me know. I'll start it. I know that a LOT of women love that swimsuit.

Tina Boomerina